Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Your thoughts on simplifying the Discussion list?

edited November 2006 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
What do you all think of completely eliminating the information under the Discussion titles. I.e. "Started By", "Comments", "Last Comment", etc. I'm wondering if it will promote an even simpler discussion platform. Thoughts? Pros/Cons?

Comments

• Options
    Good point to ponder misery,
    Maybe make it a user preference or a show/hide option beside each discussion name?

Possibly the latter, people will use it, less likely to delve into the preferences.
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    <promotion target="self" type="shameless">
    Check out my Tonka and Tyco styles.
    </promotion>

One con is you can't click on Last comment by (or whatever else you hide) to jump to the last comment in that discussion.
  • Options
    This could be an extension, methinks.
  • Options
    PolPol
    edited November 2006
    Ok, I just made a quick extension to do this. Simplified Discussion List. It adds this as an option under Discussion List Options in Forum Preferences. Personally, I wouldn't use this (I like seeing those details), but it seems to do what you were suggesting, misery. Enjoy! :)

It is only guaranteed to work in the default Vanilla theme (though any style should work), because it relies on a little CSS trick to hide that information.
  • Options
    Brilliant Pol, works with Discussions Overview too.

You know what would make it a killer add-on?

A disclosure gadget beside the discussion name to show/hide.

It doesn't need to be AJAX or anything, just more visible than having to go into the Forum Preferences.

4 Stars for this one Adam.
  • Options
    Why should that be beside every discussion? Maybe it should be next to the header at top, like where the "Bottom of Page" link is on discussion page.
  • Options
    Haha wow I surely wasn't expecting to come back and see an extension released. Excellent job Pol! Works perfect and to the point. Is there a way to have it switched on by default for all users?
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    u can just use a simple css to hide it all
    .DiscussionCategory, .DiscussionStarted, .DiscussionComments, .DiscussionLastComment, .DiscussionActive, .DiscussionNew { display: none; }
  • Options
    TomTesterTomTester New
    edited November 2006
    @Pol: 2 extensions in 3 days? Man you are a busy little bunny (are those ears?)

I'd like an option that auto-hides all READ discussions (discussions I've read
    that have not received any new comments).

I like the feedback of different background colors to indicate new vs old (read vs unread).
    Now I arrive on the discusson tab, I read one, click discussions tab again to see the list
    and any replies to other ones I've been reading etc. etc.

After reading 5-10 I have to scroll down every single time the tab is clicked (inefficient)
    Once I've read the first page I even need to seelct the next page (downright annoying)
    Just imagine reading more than 5 pages in a forum...
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    just put this in ur css .Read { display:none;} then all read discussions won't display. As u keep reading they keep vanishing once u ahve read the first page u can move on to the second one. that u will have to do manually
  • Options
    I know Schiz... but CSS is not a real solution and the page thing really does bother me...

My ideal solution would involve some kind of minimalist toolbar (in the panel?) to:
    - toggle posting details
    - toggle read discussion
    - toggle panel
    - toggle user icons in a thread
    - toggle sort order 'most recently created'/'most recently commented'
    - toggle filter of 'bumped' threads over 30/60/90 days
  • Options
    PolPol
    edited November 2006
    @misery: Mark suggests that the next version of Vanilla will have a way for the admin to set defaults of any preferences. I'd rather wait for that. I haven't even been able to figure out how to set a preference as on by default. (Any other extension authors want to help me with that?)

@TomTester: Yeah, I'm on a roll. And yes, those are bunny ears. :)
    I like your toolbar panel idea. I'm not going to jump right into writing it, for I need to get over my habit of impulsively starting large programming projects, but maybe someone else will write it!
  • Options
    TomTesterTomTester New
    edited November 2006
    Some of the things listed could be implemented to some level with 'live' stylesheet 'toggles'.
    I might just give it a shot to hack something like that (since I'm the one that asked).
  • Options
    @Pol: You can set the default of a preference. See the following discussion: http://lussumo.com/community/discussion/3523/?Focus=42935#Item_1
  • Options
    Ooh, useful. I had been looking for something like that.

In that case, I guess the code for turning this on by default would be:
    $Configuration['PREFERENCE_SimplifiedDiscussionList'] = 1;
This discussion has been closed.