Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Let's talk about Wii!

3stripe3stripe ✭✭
edited January 2007 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
I think I'm going to buy one of these babies in January, after I get my HD-tv :) Anyone else got their hands on one yet, apart from Mark? I've not been gaming for 5 years but the idea of a more interactive controller system is really appealing to me. Games don't look half bad either! What do you reckon's gonna be good? Zelda?

Comments

• Options
    I'm the opposite to you really, I was really looking forward to this a few months ago, but the more reports I heard about it and the control system, the more I've became apathetic about the whole thing. No doubt I'll get one at some point, I love games and pretty much end up with every console available; but at present, none of the 'next gen' consoles are appealing to me at all, just aren't any games (apart from Zelda! <3) that I want.
  • Options
    I'm looking forward to getting one. I hope they make the controller straps more robust though. I'm pretty heavy handed and I know I'd break one. I just know it. The system looks awesome though. Having seen some footage of released PS3 games that doesn't look too bad either. However, I could never justify spending that much on a games console. The 360 is still on my wishlist but I'm holding out on getting one of those as I'm pretty certain they'll start bundling it with the HD-DVD drive either as part of the main machine or at least in the box.
  • Options
    Mii want one! Hoping to get the wifey interested in games ;-)
  • Options
    i'm more for the ps3, the controller is a sisaxis controller (follows also your handmotions like the wii controller, except 2 motions : pull foward and shaking things) and you can use the ps3 as a hardware accelerator in a network setup (good for renderings and further).

and the graphics are really next gen and not like the wii , just watch a few games @ gametrailer.com and you know what i'm talking about

600/500 is also a good price for a multifunctional console as like the ps3 (a few functions except blu ray are allready mentioned above)

i think 300 for a wii with graphics of a last generation console is a bit expensive for my taste.
  • Options
    wii is 250
  • Options
    The whole point of the Wii is to offer something a little different, kind of like the DS does, and to be honest I find that a lot better (in the ways that matter - i.e. the games) than the technically superior PSP.
  • Options
    To be fair to the Wii, it's an overclocked Gamecube. It's graphics will be marginally better than the Gamecube. I like the Gamecube level of graphics though so I'm quite happy with that. Fery: How many people are going to use the PS3 as a hardware accelerator though? Most people will use it purely as a games console. It still looks like a tempting machine but I want something more ground breaking for my money. I think the Wii is a much better deal because of that. The Six-axis seems so bolted on with the PS3. I've played neither machine yet though so I could be wildly off target.
  • Options
    My wife (totally not a gamer) and I saw a Wii demo at a shopping centre where they allowed both kids and adults to have go at the unique controls. They looked like they were having a ball, so much so that she expressed interest in getting one for the "kids" at our Christmas party. As someone already mentioned, that strap better be solid because it looks very easy for the control to go flying far and fast!
  • Options
    sure , i mean everyone buys what he want, this was anyways not the point, no doubt there will be a lot of lucky wii users arround the world.. so plz don't take my post as offense or such.

and well i choosed the psp, because i wasnt a big friend of the ds games and the two small displays of the unit. it was fascinating to see to have ps2 style games on a handheld
  • Options
    i bought a wii and it's fun. the controls are not as confusing as you'd expect. plus, it didn't break my bank account to get it (i just had to get up at 5 in the morning).
  • Options
    A 4 year old playing Golf on Nintendo Wii
  • Options
    Fery; have you tried any of the home brew apps on the PSP? I'm tempted to get one myself because of them.
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    yay , never heard about homebrew@psp, i was now on this site here: http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/ and i was not able to find answers so far :D

what is this exactly?
  • Options
    Various music controllers really. Controlling programs like Ableton live using your PSP etc.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    I'm almost finished Zelda on the Wii. With regards to the controller, I think my favourite part so far is realizing how far I've come and how easy it was to get here.

When I first started the game, I felt like an idiot. I took everything really slow, and the game was sort of built to ease me into getting used to the controller. Now that I'm almost finished, I'm a whiz with this thing. I really like the controller. I don't care too much that the graphics aren't fabulous. This was a great game to get used to the system on. I haven't even tried Wii Sports yet.
  • Options
    3stripe3stripe ✭✭
    edited November 2006
    Schweet. And what about networking gaming... does it do that?
  • Options
    Hmmm...seems that the Wii is "wife-friendly." Seriously, how is Wii Sports? My wife hates videogames in general, but if I could pass it off as an indoor tennis simulator for the winter months, I likely could sneak $249 out of the account and live to enjoy it.
  • Options
    Heh Shatter, my idea exactly. Start off gently with Wii tennis, followed by some car-racing, and getting that PS3/XBox with Gears of War is next.
  • Options
    Now that is something I could purchase. A "wife-friendly" gaming system. lol.
  • Options
    You need those... And once she's hooked, I hope to team up with her in Socom and snipe y'all's asses one of these days (she's much smarter/strategic than I am)
This discussion has been closed.