Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Hidden Debugging features in Safari

dan39dan39 New
edited December 2007 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Pretty cool stuff... On your Mac, open up a Terminal window, and type in the following command:
defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1
...Then relaunch Safari and look for the Debug menu in the menu bar. It activates a whole bunch of useful tools.

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2006
    u should try Webkit (safari nightly build)
    and u will see this
  • Options
    dan39dan39 New
    edited November 2006
    Yeah. I've used that before and the built in Drosera too. But, as you said, it's only for the nightlies.

This hidden Debug menu is pretty useful for your normal Safari install.
  • Options
    i haven't found a single useful thing in the debug menu, beside the useragent thingy which hardly anyone uses.
  • Options
    dan39dan39 New
    edited November 2006
    You don't find the DOM Tree, Page Load tester or the JavaScript console useful?
  • Options
    the render and view tree are amazingly boring and useless I prefer to use web inspector for dom walking. with webkit i get Drosera which is a JS debugger. so i use that instead of the console
  • Options
    dan39dan39 New
    edited November 2006
    I agree. I was just pointing out that sometimes you want to debug in the build that everyone else is using to browse your site.

The Web Inspector and Drosera are really for helping to debug Webkit nightlies -- not necessarily your site. I only say that because sometimes you download a nightly with some pretty nasty regressions in it that will never see the light of day. So, I'm not sure it's a good idea to try to debug your site on a bad nightly just because it has Web Inspector and Drosera.

However, it's clear that the tools in the nightlies are more robust. Here's a clip from Apple about the Debug menu:

"This menu includes a number of rough debugging tools that we created mainly for browser testing, but you may find some of them handy for web development. The page load test in particular is interesting because it measures page load time in a more precise way than either onload timing or just using a stopwatch. If you change the “Suite” pop-up menu to “URL”, you can type the URL of your choice and get a fairly precise time for loading it. If you empty the cache first, you can get an uncached time."
  • Options
    Firebug 1.0 Beta is launched for Firefox
  • Options
    Web Inspector for Safari has been updated http://webkit.org/blog/148/web-inspector-update/
This discussion has been closed.