Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Help--Error message, can't access forum

edited December 2006 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
I just inserted HTML into my Announcement message (It says we can do this. I used <bold> </bold> and <br> tags), and now I can't access the forum. I think the <br> tag caused the problem. Here's the error message I'm getting... Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in /home/username/public_html/directory_name/conf/settings.php on line 26 I have tried deleting the <br> and <bold> tags, and then re-uploading the conf/settings.php file. But, the settings.php file reverts back to the version with <br> and <bold> tags. Even though I've deleted these tags and re-uploaded settings. What did I do wrong, and most importantly, how do I correct this? I can't access the forum at all. All I see is the syntax error message.

Comments

• Here are lines 23-37 from the conf/settings.php file. $Configuration['ANNOUNCE_SETUP'] = '1'; $Configuration['ANNOUNCE_MESSAGE'] = '<bold>Welcome to the XYZ Community!</bold> <br/> Say hello to everyone by posting an introduction.'; Say hello to everyone by posting an introduction in the "Introductions" thread.'; $Configuration['ANNOUNCE_DISAPPEAR'] = '1'; $Configuration['ANNOUNCE_TIME'] = '20'; $Configuration['ANNOUNCE_TEXT'] = '060'; $Configuration['ANNOUNCE_LINE'] = '9C9'; $Configuration['ANNOUNCE_BGCOLOR'] = 'E2F9E3'; $Configuration['ANNOUNCE_ALIGN'] = 'center'; $Configuration['ANNOUNCE_LINESIZE'] = '1'; $Configuration['ANNOUNCE_LINEHEIGHT'] = '200'; $Configuration['ANNOUNCE_MARGIN'] = '10'; $Configuration['ANNOUNCE_FONTSIZE'] = '13';
  • What is line 26 (and a couple either side) of your settings.php?
  • edited December 2006
    Hi minisweeper - It looks like you and I were posting at the same time. I've pasted the code from lines 23-37 above. I have tried deleting everything except Welcome to the XYZ Community! I then re-uploaded, cleared cache and STILL I see the error message. The settings.php file reverts back to the code listed above (the code that's causing the syntax error). It won't let me change the settings.php file.
  • The issue is this:
    Say hello to everyone by posting an introduction.'; Say hello to everyone by posting an introduction in the "Introductions" thread.';
    Taking out that second line should fix it. I'm not sure what it's there for?
  • Thanks for your help. I removed the 2 lines you listed above (and the HTML tags), and all is well. One important point--> It wouldn't let me overwrite the settings.php file with my new changes. I had to **manually delete** the settings.php file from within my FTP app, and then re-upload a fresh file.
  • did you make sure you have permissions, right click on the file and go to properties to check it out...
This discussion has been closed.