Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

WordPress Integration Problem

edited January 2007 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
WordPress 2.0.5 Vanilla 1.0.3 I'm working my way through the WordPress integration instructions. I've made it to the point where I should be able to login to Vanilla with my WP ID, but I can't. I can log into WP still fine with my WP IDs but when I try and go to this page: http://www.hometurfmedia.com/blog/forum/ I can't login. After I enter my user/pw I end up at this URL...not sure if that is a clue to the problem: http://www.hometurfmedia.com/blog/forum/people.php?PageAction=SignOutNow&ReturnUrl=http://www.hometurfmedia.com/blog/forum/ It looks like it is logging me out? Also interesting is that from the Vanilla login page, if I reset my password [by entering the WP user ID I was trying to log in with] I do get a reset message from the Vanilla forum, with a link to reset my password. When I reset it using the link, I can then login into WP fine with the new login, but I still get the same result with Vanilla. Any help really appreciated. Thanks, Jon

Comments

• The silence is deafening...

Is there some sort of paid support system for Vanilla that I'm supposed to be using?

Or have I unknowingly broken some community guideline and that's the reason no one will help?

Or there's nobody home...everyone's gone for Xmas?

Or my question is so stupid that every trained monkey in the world [with the exception of me] could figure it out?

Or ...please enlighten if there is some other reason that I'm not getting any replys.

As it currently stands I either need to figure this out...which without some help is virtually impossible, or move on to my next choice for forum software.

Thanks,

Jon
  • I'm not familiar enough with the WP integration to be of much use, but i'm guessing if you could paste in the relevant part of your settings files (i.e. the people urls and paths) it may be of use...
  • Thanks Minisweeper,

Is this the part you are looking for:

//===========settings.php================
    <?php
    // Application Settings
    $Configuration['SETUP_TEST'] = '1';
    $Configuration['APPLICATION_PATH'] = '/home/.hog/hometurf/hometurfmedia/blog/forum/';
    $Configuration['DATABASE_PATH'] = '/home/.hog/hometurf/hometurfmedia/blog/forum/conf/database.php';
    $Configuration['LIBRARY_PATH'] = '/home/.hog/hometurf/hometurfmedia/blog/forum/library/';
    $Configuration['EXTENSIONS_PATH'] = '/home/.hog/hometurf/hometurfmedia/blog/forum/extensions/';
    $Configuration['LANGUAGES_PATH'] = '/home/.hog/hometurf/hometurfmedia/blog/forum/languages/';
    $Configuration['THEME_PATH'] = '/home/.hog/hometurf/hometurfmedia/blog/forum/themes/vanilla/';
    $Configuration['DEFAULT_STYLE'] = '/blog/forum/themes/vanilla/styles/default/';
    $Configuration['WEB_ROOT'] = '/blog/forum/';
    $Configuration['BASE_URL'] = 'http://www.hometurfmedia.com/blog/forum/';
    $Configuration['FORWARD_VALIDATED_USER_URL'] = 'http://www.hometurfmedia.com/blog/forum/';
    $Configuration['SUPPORT_EMAIL'] = 'me@gmail.com';
    $Configuration['SUPPORT_NAME'] = 'Jon';
    $Configuration['APPLICATION_TITLE'] = 'Home Turf Media Bloggers Forum';
    $Configuration['BANNER_TITLE'] = 'Home Turf Media Bloggers Forum';
    $Configuration['COOKIE_DOMAIN'] = '.hometurfmedia.com';
    $Configuration['COOKIE_PATH'] = '/blog/forum/';
    $Configuration['SETUP_COMPLETE'] = '1';
    // Wordpress Authenticator
    $Configuration['AUTHENTICATION_MODULE'] = 'People/People.Class.WordpressAuthenticator.php';
    ?>

//==================database.php=======================
    // Wordpress Integration
    // =====================

// Map to the wordpress user table
    $DatabaseTables['User'] = 'wp_users';

// Map existing wordpress columns to Vanilla
    $DatabaseColumns['User']['UserID'] = 'ID';
    $DatabaseColumns['User']['Name'] = 'user_login';
    $DatabaseColumns['User']['Password'] = 'user_pass';
    $DatabaseColumns['User']['Email'] = 'user_email';
    $DatabaseColumns['User']['DateFirstVisit'] = 'user_registered';

// Also map the Wordpress columns into Vanilla
    $DatabaseColumns['User']['user_nicename'] = 'user_nicename';
    $DatabaseColumns['User']['user_url'] = 'user_url';
    $DatabaseColumns['User']['user_activation_key'] = 'user_activation_key';
    $DatabaseColumns['User']['user_status'] = 'user_status';
    $DatabaseColumns['User']['display_name'] = 'display_name';
  • Hmm. That doesnt explain why it's forwarding you to a signout link though. I'm going out shortly but if i remember/have time later i'll try and take a look at the WP integration and get my head round it...
  • Thanks a lot .... let me know if there is anything else you need to know.
  • Ok, so, first question: did you set it up to use vanillas login pages or the wordpress ones or both?
  • I currently have it at default which is both...meaning I didn't alter any login settings or get rid of the people.php. I have installed and wiped it and re-installed a few times and I did try once with just forcing the WordPress logins, but he results were the same each time. The results in my initial post were based on having the "Allow non-members to browse the forum" set to false [unchecked]. When I check that, it re-directs to the forum, it registers a login an and "lastvisited" in the DB, but I am still not logged in for either Vanilla or WordPress.
  • So if you login through WP does it login to your vanilla forum?
  • "So if you login through WP does it login to your vanilla forum?" Nope.
  • Sounds like vanilla is having difficulty reading your WP cookies/sessions then... I'm heading out for the night but try looking into that if you can otherwise i'll take a better look tomorrow.
  • I agree that it looks like a problem with cookies. I did try it again on a computer that I had never logged in before to see if was a problem with an old cookie. When I look for the cookies, after I login on the Vanilla login there are no cookies present, so either vanilla is not really logging in successfully, even though it is counting it in the DB or it is having trouble setting the cookies? Here are the cookiest that are present after I login with the WP login: Name wordpresspass_6d4bc848db66e6fb23662863bb9337f8 Value 923ju32ncv032nd23023nna383kned0u Host www.hometurfmedia.com Path /blog/ Secure No Expires At End Of Session Name wordpressuser_6d4bc848db66e6fb23662863bb9337f8 Value admin Host www.hometurfmedia.com Path /blog/ Secure No Expires At End Of Session
  • One thing i suggest you try is changing your vanilla cookie path to just /blog/, since otherwise i'm not sure it's possible for vanilla to pick up the wordpress cookies. Does wordpress have any sort of 'remember me' option which forces the cookies to last longer? i.e. not expire at 'end of session'?
  • "changing your vanilla cookie path to just /blog/" ... good idea, but same results. "Does wordpress have any sort of 'remember me' option which forces the cookies to last longer? " yes - the 'expires at' gets set to one year later, but same results with that option checked too. it's all strange...I took another site, duplicated the /blog/forum/ structure, installed WP / Vanilla and it worked fine. When I compare all the files that get changed to integrate WP/Vanilla, they are all the same as with this site. ?
  • Just a note that I also experienced a similar issue. I wanted to have the forum folder on the same level as blog but not inside, but when doing this it wouldn't pick up the WordPress cookie. Moving the folder inside the WP directory allowed me to log in ok. Perhaps the dot at the start of your domain is causing a problem. FYI my cookie settings are: $Configuration['COOKIE_DOMAIN'] = 'domain.com'; $Configuration['COOKIE_PATH'] = '/blog/forum/';
This discussion has been closed.