Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Favorite RSS reader?

edited December 2006 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Do you guys/girls have a favored RSS reader?

Comments

• 3stripe3stripe ✭✭
    edited December 2006
    The only one I found I can be arsed with is the one builtinto http://www.google.com/ig - I've tried standalone apps like NewsNetWire but never really got into the habit of using them regularly.
  • Yeah I'm the same way about never having 'gotten into the habit', and I'm not sure why that is.
  • google reader for me have setup firefox to always use google reader
  • Opera
  • I'm still looking for the perfect reader. I've tried all the web-based ones out there. Newshutch I used the longest, because of its simplistic nature, and it simply works right. However, feeds sometimes take awhile to update, and once you mark a post as read, it's gone. I liked Rojo's interface, but it wouldn't load several feeds I had listed. They also have a cool social/web2.0 setup, which I never really used. I tried Google Reader, but it's just so ugly I didn't like to use it. It does keep old posts though. Now I'm really wondering why I did leave Newshutch, it was pretty decent, but I'm sure I had a good reason, just can't remember. :) Oh yeah, Google reader really turned me off when I imported my OPML file, and it started marking random feeds as read, and others as unread, so I had no clue where to start sorting things out. Very un-googly. Right now I'm using Netvibes, one of those online desktop applications... I have a tab for each section (about 11), each tab having about 20 RSS feed blocks within. The main beauty of this is that for longer-titled feeds like news sites, I can have a 2-column layout instead of 3 so titles fit. Arguably, even that isn't the best solution, but until something better comes along... Maybe I'll just have to create my own, in the same vein as Vanilla. :) Lots of good desktop ones out there, but I read at both home and work, so a single application was never an option.
  • david when was the last time u used google reader give me honest answer,
  • If you really don't like a site because of the way it looks, just restyle it using Stylish and submit your new beauty to www.userstyles.org so everyone can enjoy it.
  • Google Reader I just tried out last week. :) After the major updates. I think it may just be that it's so young. I'm sure if I give it a few months, that will probably be my primary reader, especially since I already use Gmail and Google Calendar all day. I'm a big google fan, but I just wish they'd give Blue And White a break sometimes. Also, I really don't like whatever they use to determine what's "new" or not, or maybe it's just imported feeds they mess up and I have to let it ride a few weeks before it works ok. I have over 200 feeds, and might not get around to reading one for a month. To me, the 30 new posts in that feed since the last time I visited should be marked as "new". Really it's nitpick-y reasons, and I know it's Google so they have 5-6 people working on it full time, so I'm confident they can fix some of my little issues. I already love how fast it updates, it has a lot of great features. Just hoping they can keep development going.
  • how are u reading ur feeds. in expanded view or list view. In expanded view if u scroll past the article it will be marked as read (there is an option in the preferences to disable it) In list view it won't be. in list view u will have to click on each article to read it and only then its marked as read. rest should be marked as new. PLus for me if i'm not reading a feed its NOT marked as read. and my unread number keeps increasing from 3,10, 20 etc untill i read em. you should post this on google reader groups. it will get priority and will be fixed earlier.
  • I must be one of the few people who's not using a web based reader. I tried them all out and decided that FeedDemon was the best for me. I don't really feeds anyhere but at home. I have a few subscribed in Desktop Sidebar at work and that's it.
  • I used to use RSS Bandit, but its definitely not ready for prime time. Don't use anything now, the perpetual inbox was too much.

My ideal reader would be one with a baeysian filter--like is used for spam--that I can train to automatically ignore posts I am not interested in :-)
  • Google reader will in the future prioritize ur rss feeds. so feeds from ur friends blog will appear higher than feeds from a news site. i love the sharing and staring (bookmark) feature in Google reader.
  • Actually, I gave Google Reader another shot, and will probably stick with it since it has a better chance of getting updated. It seems new feeds at least work correctly as far as unread/read, but they sure did make the initial import experience very bad for me. I did find the Share feature very interesting, will probably wind up putting that feed on my blog somewhere. I still hate the interface, but at the same time, RSS UI is hard to design and I probably couldn't do better. Looking forward to changing the colors though.
This discussion has been closed.