Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Friendly URLs add-on questions

edited March 2007 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Hi. I downloaded the Friendly URLS add-on, it came just with a readme.txt and nothing else.

Here are the instructions:

========================================
FRIENDLY URL'S INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
========================================

Before you do anything, you must have mod_rewrite installed and configured
properly. Without mod_rewrite, following the instructions below will likely
cause a lot of really ugly Apache based errors. For more information about
mod_rewrite and how to install it, Google it:

http://www.google.ca/search?q=mod_rewrite

If you have mod_rewrite installed, you need to do two things to get the friendly
urls:

1. Open up conf/settings.php and add this:

$Configuration['URL_BUILDING_METHOD'] = 'mod_rewrite';

2. Copy the .htaccess file in this add-on to the root folder of your Vanilla
installation.

That's it. Browse to your Vanilla installation and enjoy those faux-folder urls.

There is no settings.php in the config folder, it is empty. The settings file is in the root folder.
Also where should I add $Configuration['URL_BUILDING_METHOD'] = 'mod_rewrite'? Exactly where? And where do I find the .HTACCESS file?

Why don't you add it in the next release?

Comments

• your conf folder is empty? I'd say that was a bit of an issue - your forum cant run without it. Copying that line anywhere in there between the php tags will work just fine. The .htaccess file is in the folder you downloaded when you downloaded the extension. Your OS might automatically hide it though...I'm not sure how you get around that. What OS are you using?
  • Thanks. I was wrong. The conf folder wasn't empty. And I had the zip file, didn't see that.

It works beautifully! :)
  • edited March 2007
    I'm getting this at the bottom of the comments box...

Notice: Undefined index: REWRITE_/index.php in /library/Framework/Framework.Functions.php on line 530

Edit...
    Sorry to hassle you folks, it was something I did (put in a double slash as a workaround to a hack in the "Back to discussions link"). pic

Edited: Tuesday, 27 March 2007 at 1:22PM

This discussion has been closed.