Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

This could be stupid: Comment reply form.

lechlech Chicagoland
edited July 2005 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
I've been noticing that on threads that cause pagination, if you wanted to make a reply to a topic that had several pages, you can't do so until you reach the final page. I'm not sure if this is good or bad but having a reply on every page of said thread would be nice. I'm done, because If I make any more suggestions, I'm afraid jonzey will choke slam and mark will stomp me.

Comments

• Options
    lolz, that is a great point though... kinda on this note but not really, what aobut giving people the ability to set the number of posts per page?
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    Giving the admin the absolute max to display with the user to choose anywhere in between would be wise.
  • Options
    On the one hand, it'd be more convenient... On the other hand, it'd give douchebags (minisweeper excepted) incentive to post stupid crap that has already been posted or answered on a later page before reading that.
  • Options
    What's the purpose of having an admin dictated absolute max? I'm sure you have one, I just can't think of it myself!
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    edited July 2005
    dom, so a user can't find a way to view 1000+ posts if say you're running this locally through a peep-hole sized pipe. No upper maximum limit can sometimes be deadly.
  • Options
    Good point, well made! ;)
  • Options
    haha Scottish, i'm more than happy to be called a douchebag. I begged for it for christs sake!
  • Options
    edited July 2005
    dom, so a user can't find a way to view 1000+ posts if say you're running this locally through a peep-hole sized pipe. No upper maximum limit can sometimes be deadly.
    In the vBulletin 2.x days, it used to be useful to do that so that you could print an entire thread - set the perpage value to 50000000, and it would display all the posts on one page, allowing your printer to sort the pages out and not vB :)

Unintentional, but useful.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    edited July 2005
    The reason I put the comment input box on the last page is because I found it misleading if the comment box appeared on an early page in a multi-page discussion. Like, I'd not realize that there were more pages, and I'd post thinking that my comment was coming after the last comment on the first page. Then I'd shoot to the fifth page and see that the entire conversation has changed since the part that I read up to, and I'd have to edit my comments to say "sorry, I'm dumb" or something like that.
  • Options
    i think thats a good thing and well thought. it certainly adds niveau to every forum in my opinion...yes the ui can do that! trust me
  • Options
    i always thought having the comment reply box on the last page was an awesome way to make users read the whole thread without missing anything.
  • Options
    As the two philisophies here are both vaild, could we provide an option in the configs to show the comment reply form a: on each page or b: on the last page
  • Options
    that would be pretty nice
  • Options
    thats not a bad idea.
This discussion has been closed.