Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Alter first comment?

TexTex
edited February 2007 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Is there a method to change the look of the first comment in a discussion? I mean the post of the one who started the discussion.

Comments

• If you check the RowNumber delegate parameter, it will tell you if you are looking at the first comment or not:
    $Context->SetDefinition('AfterFirstPostCode', '<hr style="border: 0 1 #ccc" />Insert code here'); $Context->SetDefinition('AfterLastPostCode', '<hr style="border: 0 1 #ccc" />Insert code here'); function TweenPost(&$CommentGrid) { // Insert the ad code after the last </li> $CommentList = &$CommentGrid->DelegateParameters['CommentList']; $RowNumber = &$CommentGrid->DelegateParameters['RowNumber']; $Comment = &$CommentGrid->DelegateParameters['Comment']; if ( 1 == $RowNumber ) { $Comment->Body .= $CommentGrid->Context->GetDefinition('AfterFirstPostCode'); } else { if ( ($CommentGrid->CommentDataCount == $RowNumber) || ($CommentGrid->Context->Configuration['COMMENTS_PER_PAGE'] == $RowNumber) ) { $Comment->Body .= $CommentGrid->Context->GetDefinition('AfterLastPostCode'); } } } $Context->AddToDelegate('CommentGrid', 'PreCommentOptionsRender', 'TweenPost');
  • Thanks for this code! Where to put it into? I tried some ways but always get an error.
  • Tex, Just make a new extension.. or Wallphone can create his own considering how helpful it is.
  • Ah, as an extension. I'll try this. Thanks!
  • Wasn't there a CSS tag like Comment_First or something? Was it done away with?
  • TexTex
    edited January 2007
    @ Krak:
    I couldn't find any. Neither in the css file nor at the source code of the page.
  • All right. This enables me to add anything I want after the text of the first comment. Has anybody an idea how to alter the look of it? I could imagine opening a div before it and close it after the comment. But how to add something before the first comment? Sorry, I am not good in this as you see.
  • I could have swore there was something like Comment_First, but I looked and couldn't find it either. It must have been removed or I am blind/looking in the wrong spot.

I swear I have used it before.
  • One thing you could do: $Comment->Body = '<div class="FirstComment">'. $Comment->Body .'</div>'; But that would only single out the body of the first comment... Maybe look at the beautiful lie theme if you are trying to get a blog-like appearance.

There was a FirstComment class in .9.2.6 Not sure why it didin't make it into later versions. (Maybe because you can get the same effect with a :first-child CSS selector?)#Comments li:First-Child { border: 2px solid #f00; }But this seems to do things to the comment author and icon fields... and I am not familiar with how well browsers use it.
  • @ WallPhone:
    The first method is very well for the beginning, thanks!
    The 'First-Child' is not supported by IE.
    The Beautiful Lie theme doesn't alter the look of the first comment, as far as I can see.
  • What about the Adjacent-Sibling Selectr? That should work with IE?
  • did any body ever make any progress on this?
  • TexTex
    edited February 2007
    The method proposed by WallPhone works fine:
    $Comment->Body = '<div class="FirstComment">'. $Comment->Body .'</div>';
    Than you can define the class in you CSS stylesheet.
This discussion has been closed.