Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

news section/blog

Comments

• Options
    right now I have Steve type blog extension. with different formatting as shown above.
    Discussion tags support will come later on.
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    This looks cool. I'd love to see this happen and work with Discussion Tags, so I'd be willing to support anything that might need to change in Discussion Tags in order for it to work with your blog extension, MySchizoBuddy. I'd need to circle back and ask Hutstein to help with required changes (he developed Discussion Tags for me) but I think this could be a great extension.
  • Options
    Sure why not.
    right now its a start and it will progress to a full fledge Blogging extension. with blog specific extensions. Its a big project.
  • Options
    Well, big project and big news :) What specific blog extensions are you thinking about?
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    You have the usual, "Related Post", "Social Bookmarking", "Pingbacks"

How did Steve solve this problem
    When ur in Post.php and u click save. If a blog category was selected, it should redirect u to the blog tab and not the discussions tab
  • Options
    Basically there's no redirection. When you post something in the blog category, you have to go to the blog tab manually. But you're right, this would be logical to be redirected on the blog tab.
  • Options
    This is a very exciting idea, hope it works out. I can't do anything but sit on the sidelines and cheer you guys on though!
  • Options
    Can anyone design how the Comments for the Blog will look like or ur fine with forum formatted comments
  • Options
    It would seem like a good idea to maintain consistency across both blog and discussion comments. Why would you want them different?

Maybe intersperse trackbacks/pingbacks in a different colour like whispers.
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    given the size of blog-posts it may make sense to give the option of toggling the comments on and off in the same window underneath the post itself. another option would be to utilise whatever Janine does now by putting the comments into the forum, provided the categories would be in sync. this way you won't have the comments attached to the blog-posts themselves. what i don't understand so far, though, is what kind of blog are you having in mind: a collaborative one, to which anyone subscribed to the forum will post? or each user will have his/hers own under the blog tab? i think, in both cases keeping the comments in the forum may be better. but in the second case you may want to consider the possibility of having two kinds of posts: the ones meant for public (i.e. forum) discussions and the ones which are either totally private (closed to all sorts of comments (and vewing?)) or may have comments but along the 'whispering' lines, that is, not intended for everyone on the forum to see...
  • Options
    Forum formatted comments are ok. Yeah, you could add an option to toggle comments on/off, but I'm not even sure it's necessary to show comments on the blog tab. Steve made it pretty simple: you just have the number of comments at the end of the blog post, and clicking on the link lead to the full post in forum formatted version. What I found especially interesting in this is that blog posts are nothing more than "featured discussions". They still appear in the discussion list and behave like normal discussions, except the first comment is shown on the blog tab. This way people can still bump old stuff they like in the forum while new stuff is posted in the blog tab.
  • Options
    the blog capability right now is only for the admin, or whoever the admin assigns as a blog editor. Every user WON'T have their own blog. I see what ur saying by having comments in the forum.Similar to Apple insider http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/04/19/iphone_could_turn_technology_world_on_its_ear_study_shows.html scroll down and click on Comments link. It takes u to the forum where all the comments are posted. Thats how I have right now.
  • Options
    yep, this is what Janine does now. and here you have to keep in mind that people might not want to abandon their already existing blogs elsewhere once they get a fully integrated version, but may want to keep the old stuff somewhat integrated alongside the new one
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    yes, but there's also a possibility of just crosslinking in some clever way, as Ø is suggesting and as squirrel has implemented with external blogs. you just have a link "discuss" underneath your post which brings you to a forum discussion with the title of teh blog post sitting there as the discussion title and and the summary of the blog-post as a discusion opening post with a "read on" link back to the original full-sized blog post...and, yes, there you only have the number of comments by the 'discuss' link. there is also a possibility of crosslinking the categories. so that in the categories archive (or smth like that) you have both blog-posts-titles and forum-discussions listed..
  • Options
    Yep Schizo, that's what I was saying. And looking at your link makes me think the link at the bottom to come back to the blog is a neat idea.

Now I'm thinking about something else... How do you manage text formatting? The problem with Steve's extension is it supports only BBCode, and it's quite an annoying limitation if you're used to nice stuff like Textile. Also, will it work with some WYSIWYG editors (I guess it means it should work with HTML too)?
  • Options
    'Every user WON'T have their own blog.'

Awww! That would be quite cool on some sites. Chaos on others I bet. I hope that's just an administrative decision not a technical one.
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I'm not sure of the interest of a personal blog per user. What would be the point? People could as well use something like User Wall and post on their own account page.
  • Options
    The point would be that you could have everyone on the site writing the front page. True collaboration. Have a look at how Newsvine.com works.

They've News from Associated Press on the front page too, but ignore that for now.

Below that they have 'seeded' news which gets voted onto the front page by users, Digg style. Each user has their own 'Column' which in other words is a blog, but those can end up on the front page by voting or I'd guess by an admin at Newsvine deciding the post is worthy of the front page and voting it up there (rigging the vote).

You could just forget the voting part and leave it up to admins to feature certain blog posts. The chaos I alluded to would ensue if the ability to get on the front page was unmoderated - voting self moderates that to some extent.
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Ok, I thought you were talking about separated blogs for each user. In fact, since MySchizoBuddy's extension is permission-based, you can give all users the permission to publish stuff in the front page, so I guess it's totally doable.
  • Options
    My advice would be to keep the core as simplistic as possible and rely on the extensions for complexities.
This discussion has been closed.