Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Could I ask a Favor?

y2kbgy2kbg New
edited February 2007 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
I was was wonder if anyone would volunteer to rewrite the Readme for my Easy Settings. I have all the info there but it is pretty hard to understand and I need it to be rewritten with pretty syntax highlation or maybe just a nicer layout and clear wording. It works fine, to the best of my knowledge but it cant become standard if it take an hour to decipher my poor way with giving direction. (and yes, maybe I am being lazy? But I am actually working constantly (almost) on the The Friends Extension I have been working on.)

Comments

• Options
    I just thought of a much better idea. I will make a website that with have a user interface similar to the label thing in vanilla, but how to i do that "add on more" thing so people can keep adding on settings. After I get that working and put all the info into an array I can have it just spit out the necessary code to copy and paste to your extension?
  • Options
    StashStash
    edited January 2007
    I'm just going to have a look at the extension, if I figure out your instructions I'll give it a go ;)

Beat me to the punch by 43 seconds :P I like your idea better :D
  • Options
    haha but i have no idea how to add extra forms. :(
  • Options
    y2kbgy2kbg New
    edited January 2007
    ok Well here is a preview, completely unstyled but probably will stay that way. This will just show what it will look like, it doesn't generate anything yet. EasySettings Generator

Edit: Der you guys cant view my localhost.
  • Options
    404'd (Ow! My browser!) - I'd love to see things on your local computer, but I am sure you have it firewalled, and I don't know your IP address. Try using something other than localhost :).
  • Options
    hahaha just remembered that. will fix.
  • Options
    ok I have updated it and it generates most of the necessary code. Next update will include selectable default settings, and also the last be of code. I Guess i will add comments in the generated code with instruction on how to check settings. Also there are no safeguard in the generator like, the extension name and setting names can only be one word but you could type in a space if you wanted to but the generated code would not work. So i will have to write instructions and also strip out any spaces in those boxes.
  • Options
    looks promising. Will you include the ability to remove a setting you've added?
  • Options
    you mean if you have added 10 settings but want to remove one? I had it in but it looked a little crowded. I will add it back tho.
  • Options
    ok added evething requested.
    Finished generated.
    Updated Easy Settings to 1.1 Please upgrade.

zfiles.110mb.com/easysettings
  • Options
    Bravo! Excellent progress! Any chance of drop-down lists and textarea fields in 1.2?
  • Options
    there are textboxes.
    I have been thinking about drop-downlists, and they are probably.

I have also tested that multiple extensions using EasySettings can be run at the same time.
  • Options
    y2kbgy2kbg New
    edited January 2007
    well I am having problems with my host, but soon a new and improved (one little bugfix and completely new styling) should be up and running.
  • Options
    You should look to include this in the extension itself - just imagine going to Settings > Extensions > EasySettings and being able to create a bunch of easy settings for including in your own extension. What do you think?

By the way, it's looking very slick indeed, but I would change "Remove Forever" to simply "Remove". It might also be nice to have some graphics of the thing that you're adding next to the "Add" buttons, just to give people a nice quick visual queue.

And for Version 2, how about a preview of what you're creating? I'm excited about this being an essential y2kbg :)
  • Options
    y2kbgy2kbg New
    edited January 2007
    "You should look to include this in the extension itself - just imagine going to Settings > Extensions > EasySettings and being able to create a bunch of easy settings for including in your own extension. What do you think?"

Thats A F*****ing SWEET idea!!

"By the way, it's looking very slick indeed, but I would change "Remove Forever" to simply "Remove"."

I wanted to make sure that people new that it couldn.t be retrieved., but you know better so i will change.

Ver 2 of Friends?
    Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I am also added an HTML TextArea in the next version of EasySettings, so you can any html you want to your settings page.
This discussion has been closed.