Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

no registration required

edited February 2007 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
hi, is it possible to allow ANYONE to start discussions/post comments without registration? we use the vanilla forum in a password-protected directory of our server where we already know that the users are registered members. however, our "registration" only requires a password (no email or username) so i was looking for a way to just turn off registration. possible? thanks.

Comments

• Options
    There has been other talk of this and a GuestPost add-on was made - http://lussumo.com/community/discussion/3908/guestpost-v1/.
  • Options
    wow. thank you, jimw. not only for the quick response but for a FRUITFUL response. (fyi, i did search for a solution but maybe i didn't use the right term and didn't spend enough time). i must say, so far this community is very impressive. thanks again.
  • Options
    Impressive indeed but i'm afraid I have no plans to allow discussion creation via the guest post extension - it's too much extra work and pushing the bounds of my knowledge at the moment. Could you change the authentication method to use some other format so your users become automatically logged in? How PHP savvy are you?
  • Options
    Also, and I know it's not a solution, but I thought I'd put it out there anyway, but you only have to log in once if you have the "Remember me" box checked. I think you can make that on by default as well - I recall reading it somewhere in the forum a week or two ago...
  • Options
    Ah yes, here it is.

As that relates directly to WordPress integration, I've modified it a bit to hopefully work with plain old Vanilla. I've not tested this, but give it a go and let me know if it works ;) Edit
    yourforum\themes\people_signin_form_nopostback.php
    Replace this:<label for="RememberMeID"> <input id="RememberMeID" type="checkbox" value="1" name="RememberMe"/> Remember me </label>
    With:
    <label for="RememberMeID"> <input id="RememberMeID" type="hidden" value="1" name="RememberMe" /> </label>
  • Options
    thanks minisweeper. i'm prolly savvy enough to figure that out (auto login of my existing users). using your GuestPost solution seems to work for now anyway.
This discussion has been closed.