Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Administration Suggestion

jonezyjonezy New
edited July 2005 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Mark, so i made a new role (Grammar Nazi) and assigned it to scottish (because he was making fun of me :@) now right off the bat he couldn't participate in any forums, after some digging i realized that you have to go into each forum and assign the new rold permissions to it... i think it would make sense to have the ability to assign the category permissions on the role page as well (checkbox list, multi select drop down). if a user had like 10-20 categories and made a new role it would be a pain in the ass going and assigning the role to all those categories.

Comments

• Options
    i think mark's working on this very thing already.
  • Options
    hey thats a great idea
  • Options
    is he? i must have missed the thread about that.
  • Options
    it was a whispered discussion regarding a "security hole" that was not technically a security hole. before 0.9.2, newly created roles had access to all categories by default. so if you didn't remember to go through the categories and disable access for the new role before assigning it to someone, that someone could see things they might not be meant to see. as of 0.9.2, new roles have access to nothing by default, i guess.
  • Options
    hmmm that might be more secure but eh usability of it is a bit suspect... i think if there is just some kind of immediate way of notifying admins that users need to be assigned to categories that would be fine also
  • Options
    and yeah, the "categories list on the role management page" was specifically discussed, but i don't know for certain if or when it will be implemented.
  • Options
    it's a tricky balance to obtain, but i think it's better the new way.
  • Options
    i would be fine with it the new way, if there was a note on the page at the very least mentioning that you need to now go and assign the roles to categories.
  • Options
    i think on the role creation page as well as the role management page, there should be a list of categories with checkboxes.
  • Options
    yeah well hopefully mark will read this at some point.
  • Options
    I think that by default, new roles should be granted normal member status, with member access, thne if you want to change stuff, go ahead and do that, rather than giving that new role 'full access'.
  • Options
    that's not really the problem... i didn't have an issue assigning permissions to the new role, it was with giving the new role access to the categories on the site.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Wait. Do you not see the list at the bottom of the "new role" form where it says: "Select the categories this role should have access to." and then lists all of the categories? Am I missing something. This fix went out in the last revision and is live on this version. How could you miss that? Or are you talking about something else entirely?
  • Options
    holy shit you are right. how the frig did i miss that? like wtf? /me choke slams himself.
  • Options
    i should really close this thread to avoid any further embarassment
  • Options
    ithcyithcy New
    edited July 2005
    i don't know for certain if or when it will be implemented.

i don't know for certain if or when it will be or was implemented.

now i don't have to feel as embarassed
This discussion has been closed.