Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Vanilla's cookies and Wordpress' cookies don't mix

lamentlament
edited July 2005 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Hey guys,

Was having an annoying problem with Wordpress not showing posts on the front page or in the admin (only in recent activity section).

After posting on the WP forums, someone said they had the same problem, and it was a cookie conflict with Vanilla.

Turns out he was right. After logging out of Vanilla, only then could I see my posts on the front page of the WP site.

So how can I fix this?

Comments

• Options
    I have vanilla and WordPress in seperate folders (and sub-domain) so my vanilla cookie is set for forum.scamcity.co.uk and wordpress is set for www.scamcity.co.uk

So far I've had zero problems
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    I'm curious what the conflict is. If it's a simple matter of renaming the vanilla cookies, I might do that for the next rev. Does anyone know what the names of the wordpress cookies are?
  • Options
    lamentlament
    edited July 2005
    looking at the cookies in Firefox, I see..

[cookies posted]
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    that shouldn't conflict. But I'm going to change them anyway.
  • Options
    mark i'll wipe my db again and reinstall to test. lemme know when you do..
  • Options
    No shit! This exact problem has been messing my head for ages... thought it was a mysql problem, or just me being stupid - http://wordpress.org/support/topic/39398 I have Vanilla and Wordpress installed in seperate folders of the same domain, so I should rename my cookies on Wordpress somehow?
  • Options
    you'll probably have to download some files and replace them, i'd imagine..
  • Options
    ok cool... looking forward to some wordpress/vanilla integration plugins coming out of the woodwork in the not too distant future... i'm sure it'll become a popular combo as i don't imagine many wordpress users like phpbb ;-)
  • Options
    lamentlament
    edited July 2005
    3strip:

see here for your "Can anyone advist on showing recent Vanilla posts on my Wordpress sidebar" answer.. :)
  • Options
    woaaah cool, simultaneous cross-posting going on, slick... thanx for the headz up lament.
  • Options
    I had the same problem... I changed the cookie domain on vanilla and it cleared everything up (after I deleted my old cookies, of course) I emailed Mark with my problem/solution last week.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Yeah - I was aware of the problem, but I'm thinking that the solution shouldn't be a user configuration, it should be a core-Vanilla change so that no-one else encounters the problem. I just forgot to add it to my todo list when saucey told me about it. *hides* Oh, and I won't be releasing this change until next week sometime. I am going to try to get to doing weekly or bi-monthly releases unless there are some major problems that come up.
  • Options
    3stripe3stripe ✭✭
    edited July 2005
    no worries dude, at least i know what's causing it now, that's the main thing =)
  • Options
    well i can't really launch my site/forum until this is fixed. mark is there a workaround until then? should i just move my forum to forum.site.com?
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    edited July 2005
    lament, here is a quickfix for you:

... see below...
  • Options
    great thank you so much.. mind if i post this quick fix to the WP forums in the meantime?
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Oh, and I know those names should be constants. I don't know why they aren't already, tbh. But this is a quickfix, and all constants are going out the window in the next rev.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Well, try it out on your forum first to make sure it works. If it doesn't, we'll have to come up with something else. This fix makes the assumption that wordpress is using cookies named "name" or "pass" for some reason, and if they're not - we'll find out when you implement this fix.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    And if you do decide to post this fix elsewhere, make sure you note that the fix relates to version 0.9.2 of Vanilla (and earlier). All versions in the future will have more distinct cookie names.
  • Options
    lamentlament
    edited July 2005
    well.. it doesn't work.

and when I logged out of the forum before the fix, i could reload the site and the posts would show up - now they don't.

the only way to get them to show up is to clear the cookies again.

maybe 3stripe could try it as well?
This discussion has been closed.