Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Constantly getting logged off -- seatel connection

edited February 2007 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Dear Sirs, I am having a hard time setting up vanilla since I get constantly logged out every 2-10 minutes, likely due to me being on a ship some 200 kilometers north of Norway. I use a Seatel 128 k link which is a rather expensive internet connection with a satelite dish that moves to compensate for waves. The forum is for a lot of people that will also have this exact setup and so I have a need for a fix for this situation to be able to use vanilla. I have not noticed the problem with most other forums, although certain tools from my isp has the same problems. Gmail as an example never seem to log me off. I know or guess rather that there could be a solution with a proxy, but the crowd I have in mind for the forum aint at all very technical and so it would be a far less than perfect solution if it couldn't be "baked in" and be transparent to the users. I use surftown.nu btw as my ISP, they have updated Ibm linux servers. If there is a question about some of their settings, I'll ask them for them. Thanks in advance for any pointers on this, I am really eager to have this work.

Comments

• Are you using the 'remember me' function when you log in?
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    I'd say it's more likely a problem with your cookie / session setup in Vanilla, or a server session setup problem. As Mini said: are you using "remember me" when you sign in?
  • I am trying to use remember me, but that doesn't seem to work. Eg. what happens is I am, say, writing a reply, hit the post button and it doesn't work, I just get to the forum display with the "you are not logged in" in the top corner. Signing in again needs me to go to the login screen, and either safari nor Opera seem to "remember me". I don't understand why I would need this, since any other forum I used never logged me out after three minutes for no reason, irrespective of if remember me was on or not. I use Opera on a macbook pro, but everything like java and cookies is set to allow and other forums like this one does not have the same problem. Is there any settings in particular you are referring to that I could try and experiment with?
  • Well if it works fine on this forum then it should work fine for your own forum, really... What are your cookie settings set to on the forum?
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    This could be a number of different problems affecting each other.

If "remember me" is set up properly and you are using it, then you should never get signed out - even if your sessions aren't set up properly. For cookie settings, look at conf/settings.php and edit these settings:

$Configuration['COOKIE_DOMAIN'] = 'http://yourdomain.com'; $Configuration['COOKIE_PATH'] = '/yourvanilla/';
  • Max_BMax_B New
    edited February 2007
    The cookie setting is the first thing to check out, as Mark said, but I'm wondering: Is your IP changing often, with connection hiccups?
  • Also, what are you server session settings, in phpinfo?
This discussion has been closed.