Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Business Help

omfgomfg New
edited August 2010 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Solved

Comments

• Options
    Ok a short update:

I've decided to keep the name Misanthrope since I've invested quite a bit of time and money into it. But I'm going to make the site really attractive and have it change on each visit. I've realized that the domain name is fine but I don't like seeing the name on the site so I've given it a logo of just an M in different contexts. It looks pretty swell.
  • Options
    hosting.ohhello.org sounds fine to me. I like it.
  • Options
    ok, have them both. hosting.ohhello.org can just redirect to Misanthrope anyway.
  • Options
    Yea, it was either going to go one way or the other. The thing is I've bought an SSL certificate and business cards for Misanthrope. I think in general I just hate saying that word. It sounds find at first but once you say it a billion times it gets really annoying. That 'THROPE' part is killer.
  • Options
    i've always thought that hosting providers should strive to have the shortest name possible, especially if user email is involved. if short is impossible (usually is), the strive to have the easiest to communicate verbally. try to avoid having to spell the name out to communicate it correctly. this is really all just for the sake of the users' email addresses. if you already invested money in something, tho... i would probably stick with that.
  • Options
    hrm, that's pretty smart actually. I suppose that the ideal would be something easily communicated via word of mouth. Yea I'm not sure to about any of these names. They are not very good.
  • Options
    i suppose it really comes down to your users - are they more likely to be communcating their email addresses to people in the real world, i.e., word-of-mouth, business cards, posters; or will they mostly remain electronic, where this matters very much less?
  • Options
    I think for the sake of consumers. I will keep the misanthrope for now, spend my time working on a new name / concept. And then have the new company 'buy' the old one. Then just send an e-mail to my customers about the new stuff that will available because of the buyout and then instructions on how to change their DNS info.

The .nu domains are like 60 bucks per year too, which is a tad to expensive when a dot come is only 8.
  • Options
    Well J they have their own domains, so they don't really get email addresses @ my domain... Most of my sales have come from word of mouth, in person and electronically.. I do have a bunch of business cards to dispurse though.
  • Options
    oh, i'm certainly not endorsing .nu names, jesus. i've still got mine ONLY because it's been my primary email for almost 8 years. otherwise, i'd drop that sucker like a bad habit.
  • Options
    Yea I'm stuck with mine for e-mail reasons too :\
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    whatever is easier for possible clients to remember. if you're hosting actual domains, that might be even better, because typically, without the domain you're just domain.com/~username/ or a number. If you're planning on giving each of your hosted users a subdomain, that's actually really cool even if for some reason their domain goes up in flames and what-not. i would rather have lech.hostname.com rather than just being hostname.com/~lech/ just for simplicity sake. tilde's are annoying. so the bottom line, if you have hosting or services.ohhello or whatever other domain, it's sometimes also helpful to do /hosting and /services as folders to redirect in case people are looking that way as well.
  • Options
    Well, we primarily only host domains. We don't have any options for subdomains or anything like that.
  • Options
    My hosting gives me an IP, and it also gives me a subdomain to boot! On top of that, I've somehow managed to collect 7 domains on there so far, but then it is a virtual machine so I get complete admin access. I do think that having a subdomain offered is a very nice touch, and doesn't take a great deal of administration on the part of the system admin.
  • Options
    Yeah. I have a number of my own domains, and prefer to have either fully qualified domains or subdomains. I despise the ~username/ format as well. Because to me that implies a different scope of control. I like the subdomains. I even use subdomains for various parts of my own sites - images.domain.com or files.domain.com or...vanilla.domain.com etc.

Also as far as going with one name or a subdomain, hosting.ohhello.org is fine. If it's a "parent company" then having a link to the hosting part of the company which goes to hosting.ohhello.org is great, actually.
This discussion has been closed.