Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Drag and Dropping

edited September 2006 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
You may notice a trend here with my idea for Extensions. I've noticed a minor irk where when you have multiple sticky topics, you cant really control keeping them in an order - which is a problem if you have a really important discussion which needs to be number one. A cool idea would be for admins to drag and drop the sticky threads into a specific order. This functionality could also replace the way categories are currently arranged, by just having an in page editing option to bypass doing it from the admin area. I know this is a pretty substantial req. but hey, if you build it, they will come... or something.

Comments

• Options
    holy cow that sounds cool, i'm all about that the code to do the dragging and dropping *should* be pretty trivial in ajax dhtml. i guess the real question is, does the forum code itself have any way of specifying that order?
  • Options
    if not, I'm sure there would be a way to go about specifying the order in a seperate table citing the DiscussionID's
  • Options
    yteah i bleive the sorting is based on last activity...
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    right now it is either sticky or it's not. I could easily change that enumerator to an int.
  • Options
    That's something that used to bug the hell out of me from the previous software I was using on an old forum that I used to keep (YaBB). That forum had a lot of sticky topics and sometimes it was frustrating having to unsticky and re-sticky all of them to put the most relevant/new one up. I'm guessing the new forum we're experimenting with will eventually have that many sticky topics, and it'd be cool to be able to determine the order, or at least assing a priority setting.
  • Options
    Yeah, this definently sounds like a cool extension - especially to just ordering categories. Ajax is the way things should be! Google's personalize home page shows us that!
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    It's already that way in 0.9.3. Just wait for Vanilla 1 and you'll be pleased.
  • Options
    Thought I would bump this. I am very pleased with Vanilla 1 and being able to drag and drop organizing categories - but stickies are still ordered by last date posted - I think that an admin should be able to override and set an order for stickys.
This discussion has been closed.