Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Announce new topics via twitter

edited March 2007 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
I think this should be easy for an programmer by using the twitter-API - and usefull for me :-)

Comments

• Options
    Or is there simply a way to call http://twitter.com/statuses/update.xml?status=topictitle when a new topic is written?
  • Options
    in the CommentManager, there is a PostSaveNewComment delegate that you could attach to. Not sure how to tell if its a new discussion or just a comment though.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I've found that - but I'm really not familiar with the way vanilla triggers something. There is a simple way to update twitter with php, but I cant't figure out how to include that :-/

<?php $email = $_POST['email']; $password = $_POST['password']; $status = urlencode( $_POST['status'] ); $url = "http://twitter.com/statuses/update.xml"; $session = curl_init(); curl_setopt ( $session, CURLOPT_URL, $url ); curl_setopt ( $session, CURLOPT_HTTPAUTH, CURLAUTH_BASIC ); curl_setopt ( $session, CURLOPT_HEADER, false ); curl_setopt ( $session, CURLOPT_USERPWD, $email . ":" . $password ); curl_setopt ( $session, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER, 1 ); curl_setopt ( $session, CURLOPT_POST, 1); curl_setopt ( $session, CURLOPT_POSTFIELDS,"status=" . $status); $result = curl_exec ( $session ); curl_close( $session ); ?>
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Maybe? You would probably have to set your twitter email and password inside twitter.php.
    function IncludeTwitterFile(&$CommentManager) { // Need to do some additional checking to see if this is a new discussion, or just a new comment here // If its a new discussion: include('twitter.php'); } $Context->AddToDelegate('CommentManager', 'PreSaveNewComment', 'IncludeTwitterFile');
  • Options
    RaizeRaize vancouver ✭✭
    Let's do this. It's an awesome way to attract traffic to your forum.

"New discussion on yoursite.com - discussion topic - link"
  • Options
    oliverraduneroliverraduner Contributing to Vanilla since 2010 Switzerland ✭✭
    edited August 2010
    @Daniel @WallPhone & @Raize
    I am not sure, if it makes sense creating kind of a plugin for vanilla for posting to Twitter. I guess it would be better relying on existing services such as twitterfeed.com (which grabs updates via the RSS feed).

What do you think about that?
  • Options
    RaizeRaize vancouver ✭✭
    @oliverraduner

twitterfeed actually turned out to be the perfect solution! everytime i make a new discussion on my forum, it makes a post to my twitter feed just like i wanted...doesn't get any easier than this :)

now the fun begins...
  • Options
    RaizeRaize vancouver ✭✭
    p.s. i miss @wallphone