Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

CssEdit and Coda

Nothing beats CssEdit if ur going to edit well CSS.

Check existing webpages and look at their css by just clicking around

Panic Coda new editor for web development

There is something about 5% market share that makes MAc software super cool. there isn't like this in the Windows world.

Comments

• Options
    awesome, i love CSSedit. i'm using it this second, actually. this looks really nice, and the page viewer means i can finally dump xyle scope. thanks for the heads up!
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    XyleScope was one the few apps i paid money for. but the creators of the XyleScope seem to have abandoned it. It was really nice software, and the original product that started this whole checking css of live webapges by clicking on the element u wnat. Long before Firebug started doing it and now almost all css edit softwares allow this.

I feel sorry for Windows users :P
  • Options
    Yeah, when XyleScope came out i was blown away. But then firefox got all sorts of extensions that did similar things, safari got its own window that showed the same info, and like you said, XyleScope seems to have been left in the dust. this new CSSEdit looks really slick. I checked out Coda too, but since most of my publishing is handled via a CMS, i'm not sure how much use i'd get out of it. I'm generally not a huge fan of all in one apps anyway, i like having each app do its own job and do it well. still, though, I'm pretty impressed with both apps. panic always makes quality stuff (i love transmit) and CSSEdit has been my mainstay since it came out.
  • Options
    Coda looks really slick, but right now I'm pretty happy with TextMate. I have been thinking of getting CSSEdit. I like how Coda is an all in one, has collaborative editing etc, but I'm not sure its up to TextMate's level, and at least on the surface doesn't seem as robust as CSSEdit.... But I'm going to look at it more. Does it validate as you type? And the built in Javascript debugger seems cool, as does preview. It also has collaborative editing. Decisions decisions!
  • Options
    wait till Leopard is out. Textmate is getting a shot of Redbull. The authors of textmate will be dropping support for Textmate on tiger with an really improved version for Leopard.
  • Options
    never really liked textmate, tbh. textwrangler always worked just fine for me. i can see why others like it, though.
  • Options
    the new version of cssedit is lovely.

I downloaded it this morning.

gorgeous piece of software.
  • Options
    Review of Coda http://daringfireball.net/2007/04/coda
  • Options
    (when will leopard be out?)
  • Options
    October
  • Options
    i do not know how to create a new topic in here, so don't know really where to post. very confusing. my forum doesn't look like the cool ones i saw on the demo. it is a plain white page. i don't knwo what to do. please don't tell me to check parameters, don't even know what those are. i was lucky to get this far. instructions are not clear to me. in fact, i tried to put in a fck editor and the instructions you give for that are so confusing to me and i cannot get anywhere with it, so i deleted it. i am actually going to have to get rid of everything if i cannot fix it. here is what it look like and below are more errors. i have no idea what it means or how to fix it. and how do i get the pretty skin on the demo instead of a plain white page? the first part is all that is on my page. Warning: Undefined property: Scripts in /www/cgi/Vanilla-1.1.2/library/Framework/Framework.Control.Head.php on line 23 Warning: Undefined property: StyleSheets in /www/cgi/Vanilla-1.1.2/library/Framework/Framework.Control.Head.php on line 32 Warning: Undefined property: Strings in /www/cgi/Vanilla-1.1.2/themes/head.php on line 30 Signed in as Aharleygyrl (Sign Out) MyCureZone Discussions Categories Search Settings Account Start a new discussion Vanilla 1.1.2 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support. All Discussions No discussions found ____________________________________ Warning: Undefined property: Categories in /www/cgi/Vanilla-1.1.2/library/Vanilla/Vanilla.Control.SearchForm.php on line 54 Warning: Undefined property: UserOrder in /www/cgi/Vanilla-1.1.2/library/Vanilla/Vanilla.Control.SearchForm.php on line 63 Warning: Undefined property: Roles in /www/cgi/Vanilla-1.1.2/library/Vanilla/Vanilla.Control.SearchForm.php on line 83
  • Options
    Aharleygyrl: You hadn't thought to use the Start a new discussion link at the top right of every page? I'm surprised you managed to sign in at all! Try that and create a new discussion *sigh*

Schiz, those both look like very impressive apps. You are quite right when you say there's nothing like those on Windows - wouldn't the world be wonderful if all applications were cross platform? This has given me the incentive to get my Mac Mini back online and give them a blast.
  • Options
    no, i don't see anything on here that says start new discussion. about what you said, all i know is my server uses linux or whatever it is. beyond that, i am lost
  • Options
    oh wait, just saw the start new discussion thing. i don't know if it is beccause i had the text thing not turned on or if i am blind
  • Options
    3stripe3stripe ✭✭
    edited April 2007
    Coda looks nice. It's also pitched up against the new Adobe CS3 suite with hugely updated Dreamweaver functionality - I can't see many people buying both! Personally I'd like to see a splice of Transmit (ftp) + Smultron (text editor) for a more stripped back version of what Coda does. But that's just me :)
  • Options
    are we seeing people getting tired of bloatware like dreamweaver, and going back to simplistic programs. that might not have millions of features but makes up in terms of integration and easy of use. There was a time when people moved to Dreamweaver and dropped texteditors, now texteditors are back with a bang.

Back to basics :)
  • Options
    That's mainly cos Dreamweaver was a really bloated, unresponsive POS. If it was quick, intuitive and responsive then I doubt people would have dropped it so much. Of course, it's much easier to write a smaller, simpler program and have it remain all these things than something that tries to do everything :) Focus is a wonderful thing.
This discussion has been closed.