Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Forum hacked?

adrian.adrian.
edited November 2007 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
I got up this morning and checked my vanilla forum as per usual over breakfast but the setup page automatically came up when trying to access it.

why the hell would a forum see itself as needing to be installed again?

Comments

• Options
    i get this every once in a while, usually a quick refresh fixes it. there's a topic or two floating around about this issue, but it's never been that serious for me
  • Options
    hmm i just saw someone else with this exact problem also...
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    The setting page appear when the appg/settings.php can't find conf/settings.php.

That can happen when the permission of conf/ or its files are changed.or maybe because of network problem.

the setting page won't do anything if the forum is already installed
  • Options
    Very strange it would happen on the same day--what version are you running?
  • Options
    I was on version 1.1, I am going to upgrade to the latest version as soon as possible.

Its a private forum too, ie non members cannot browse it...

oddd
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    That is wierd. I've never had that....
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    One of my forums has got its settings file corrupt twice (0kb), which caused the same problem. I've no idea why.
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    ^ what he said. It happened something like two weeks ago for no apparent reason. The board is on Dreamhost.
  • Options
    The strange thing is I've several forums on the same host (OVH) and it only occured on one forum, always the same.
  • Options
    i had the same problem yesterday. Wallphone assisted in getting it corrected.
  • Options
    I've had the same problem on a couple of occasions so I just keep an up-to-date settings.php handy, strange to think how it happens really.
  • Options
    StashStash
    edited April 2007
    I had this exact same problem 2 days ago. I luckily had a backup of the php files and uploaded them again which solved the problem. I've also deleted the setup directory now as well, as I'd rather had a different error than something that could potentially destroy the database.

This was on a FlexiHostings server, the Dreamhost server was fine.
  • Options
    My unix command lines are a bit rusty, but next time this happens, before fixing the problem, this command should retrieve the last ten page requests from the log before it started going to setup:tail cat access_log | grep -v "setup/" | grep -v "302"Tail of the cat, so to speek.
  • Options
    Hello,

I have just experienced this problem - conf/settings.php = 0kb.
    Could somebody, please advise me how I can find out my ['APPLICATION_PATH']
    eg.= ['APPLICATION_PATH'] = '/mnt/web1/xx/xx/xxxxxxxx/htdocs/forums/';
    with this info, I can amend the conf/settings file from another forum

Many thanks in advance
  • Options
    most FTP programs will give you that full path somewhere in the application.
  • Options
    Not really a solution to the problem, but maybe vanilla could be made to keep the previous version of conf/settings.php as conf/settings.bak when it is written to. At least that way there would always be the last backup.
  • Options
    Thanks ThaRiddla,

I will have to start using my old version of wise-FTP.
    I have been using web-FTP from my hosting company (as it's a lot easier) but doesn't give me this info :-(

I appreciate your quick answer to my problem.
  • Options
    Oh Dear! I am stumped.
    Can't find ['APPLICATION_PATH'] = '/mnt/web1/xx/xx/xxxxxxxx/htdocs/forums/';
    anywhere using my FTP program.

Would any of the files in my vanilla set up (apart from the missing one) have this information ?

Thanks
  • Options
    to get it with php add that in a file in the root directory :echo dirname(__FILE__);
  • Options
    this happens to me too and i am using 1.1.4 well the newest one so far
This discussion has been closed.