Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Vanilla API

edited August 2005 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Everyone will probably yell EXTENSION!, but is there a way to create a new discussion programatically (easily)? Someone mentioned that they use Vanilla as a Blog comment system. This is simply brilliant. I'd love to be able to include a php file and call a function that takes a few paramaters (title, date?, blog body? (summary?)) and spits back the URL of the discussion that was created with the same title (or Title [comments] or something to tag it as "related to some other thing on the site"). That way, this could be included at the bottom of a blog entry. Really smart functions might also take the permanent URL of the blog entry and stuff that in the discussion body to link back to the blog. Taking it REEEEEEEEEEELY far, some freak of nature might use an API to build a completely different UI, say a native application that interacts with Vanilla like webservice. Freaky.

Comments

• Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    From the progress I have seen so far, vanilla isn't too far away from becoming it's own self-sustained API. In the foreseeable future, I can see the Vanilla we're using right now as a forum as an extension itself totally seperate with other extensions working inline with it. It's fair to say I've been looking over the source briefly and thinking this exact same thing, subterrane. If there's a way to strip the forum meat off of the framework backbone it might be totally possible to do what you're asking for.
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    I would pay some real money to have a WordPress / Vanilla plugin combo! Post in WordPress - discuss in Vanilla. Sweet!
  • Options
    I absolutely must second orangeguru's view. A WordPress / Vanilla combo would be absolutely awesome.
  • Options
    gimme

me want

API good
  • Options

Hm...this is fun.

I made a page with just this in it:

<html>
    <body>      
    <form name="frmPostDiscussion" method="post" action="http://www.ohhello.org/post.php">

<input type="hidden" name="DiscussionID" value="0" />
        <input type="hidden" name="CommentID" value="0" />
        <input type="hidden" name="UserDiscussionCount" value="0" />
        <input type="hidden" name="PostBackAction" value="SaveDiscussion" />
        <input type="hidden" name="CategoryID" value="10" />
        <input type="hidden" name="FormatType" value="Text"/>

<input type="text" name="Name" maxlength="100" value="topic" /><br />
        <textarea name="Body" id="CommentBox">body</textarea><br />
        <input type="submit" name="btnSave" value="Submit" />
    </form>

</body>
    </html>

It actually worked. Probably because it was in my browser and the session was still active. Dunno how this would work from another script.

This discussion has been closed.