Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Donation policy

Does vanilla have an official policy regarding donations?

I'll suggest that all extensions have a donation button like sourceforge projects
It will be per extension donation. So users can support the extensions they like.

Embedding paypal is pretty straight forward. Just a form button that directs you to paypal. It requires 2 fields to be added. one the email of the account holder and name of the item. Users can add a paypal email in their account page, and extension name we already know. pretty simple.

<form name="_xclick" action="https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr" method="post"> <input type="hidden" name="cmd" value="_xclick"> <input type="hidden" name="business" value="EXTENSION_DEVELOPER@VANILLA.COM"> <input type="hidden" name="item_name" value="EXTENSION NAME"> <input type="hidden" name="currency_code" value="USD"> <input type="hidden" name="amount" value="25.00"> <input type="image" src="http://www.paypal.com/en_US/i/btn/x-click-butcc-donate.gif" border="0" name="submit" alt="Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!"> </form>

Another form of donation is via Amazon Wishlist, again users can add the wishlist URL in the account page. that will show up on the extensions page.

Just one thing from what i have seen so far. For eg. Handbrake (opensource dvd transcoder) developers are not allowed to take donations.
Leo Laporte from Twit mentioned that one guy who donated to Twit is now demanding to see Twit's financial ?

Donation are for developers to get some kind of monetary help for their work. All (99.9%) open source projects do that. Donation doesn't mean that you can go to the developers house and demand improvements. It also not equivalent to support payment either. Do not expect bugs to be fixed or features to be added just because you donated. Even though thats exactly what you will get in return :)

What do you guys think.

Comments

• Options
    I personally hate seeing "Donate" buttons all over the place. The make me not want to donate.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    they will be only on the extensions page. and only when viewing one extension. Its will be similar to sourceforge. You do no see a donations button everywhere on sourceforge.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Well, the easy thing to do is just embed the donation button in your extension description.
This discussion has been closed.