Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Creating themes: how much can original files be changed?

edited September 2007 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
I have a forum up using Vanilla, and I want to create a new theme for it. Actually, I wanted to create a new style, but the HTML Vanilla produces is so inconsistent and bloated that is making me cringe. I don't see a reason why is category listing using completely different set of classes than discussion list. Why is add new comment form different than new discussion form? This is the first page that aims to be standard-oriented that is placing form tag *inside* of fieldset tag. Etc... Thus I want to first clean up the HTML before doing the style I want. Question is - what can I change? More precisely - what can I remove. All those classes and ids - which are necessary for Vanilla and especially plugins to work and which can be safely removed? Is there a rule here, a post in the wiki, experience... I plan to post the theme once cleaned and style is ready. Any help really appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    Short answer: You can change, add and remove whatever you want!
  • Options
    How ?
  • Options
    bapi — notepad.exe should suffice...

aplus — If you're creating a new theme (and therefore style as well) then you can do whatever you like. As for extensions that are dependant on specific HTML structures, I wouldn't know, but your best bet is to try start coding and see what breaks. It might be worth taking a look at the tabled theme to see how much has been changed (or not) in that.
This discussion has been closed.