Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Role & Permission improvements

Just add heading of the Extension that Permission belongs to. Helps in finding the required permission quickly. the list is very long and requires some managing.
Picture 1

Comments

• Options
    What's this Schiz? Your post didn't make much sense to me - I think I'm having an off day. Is this a suggestion to change what the current permissions list looks like? If so, I like the idea, as it looks MUCH clearer and easy to use.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    I've wanted a nice clean way of organizing the role permissions for a while - I just hadn't come up with a nice way to do it yet... This looks pretty good.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Looks very simple but won't be easy to make, if no change on the user side is priority, so all current extension don't need any updating.
  • Options
    Sure the heading can just be taken from the extension name? I wouldn't have thought there would be any need to change the extensions at all?
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    yup, but how will you associate the permissions to a particular extension.
    You start with an array of permissions before any extensions are parsed.
    then you compare the before and after array per extension. then you will know which permissions were added by which extension. Once you have associated the permissions with a particular extension, then all you have to do is display them.

Where to do this comparison, you cannot put the code in extensions.php file.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    edited May 2007
    I'm thinking that I should come up with a better way of declaring permissions. Like a function call that then places the permissions in categories... something like:

function DefinePermission($PermissionName, $DefaultValue, $HeadingCode) { // whatever... }
  • Options
    That sounds like a good idea. I assume we could keep it backwards compatable like the dictionary methods though?
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Yep
  • Options
    so there will be a new way to declare permissions as well.
    Any one wanting the heading use the new way. others use the old way
    fair enough.
  • Options
    will this be included in the next / future Vanilla or will it be an extension ?
  • Options
    not an extension,
    will be in core of next version
  • Options
    sweet
This discussion has been closed.