Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Multi-forums: a strange but easy way and one request needed help

edited June 2007 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Hi everybody, I am a new user with Vanilla. The more I play with it the more I'm surprised of the power and flexibility in it. Recently I am planning a project to use Vanilla as a 'forum platform' for some small groups( the number of which may up to a hundred). At first I was looking for the multi-forum-in-one-install method to fit my need. Of course it failed. Then I tried another easy but somehow strange way to do the same job. Since the 'Roles & Permissions' is so flexible that I can setup one particular role that only access to a certain category. E.g. roleA for categoryA roleB for categoryB roleC for categoryC... So the member with roleA means he can only view, post and comment in categoryA. He will be in a page with only the topics belong to that category. Then I can use 'Discussion Tags' add-on to get some subcategory-like function. The result is, I have a 'forum platform' to serve many small groups with only one install. The project looks good so far. But I got a further need here. Since I use categories as forums, I'm wondering if it is possible to use the 'category name' as the 'BANNER_TITLE' and html page title while members sign-in? In this case, if a member sign-in, he will see a banner using the category name also the page title display the same name too. Therefor the category would looks really like a 'real' forum. I think I should change the code in menu.php some where between <h1> and </h1>. But I am not a programmer so I need someone to help me out. Could someone so kind to help me to achieve this? Wish my poor English is clear enough to be understand. Thanks in advance.
This discussion has been closed.