Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

[Solved] Strange problem after changing hosts

edited July 2007 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
I have recently changed hosting companies (actually just moved one site to dreamhost) and exported the DB of the vanilla that was installed at the old hosting company, dloaded vanilla files by FTP, uploaded them to the new host, also I have used phpmyadmin to import the DB, made corrections to the paths so they suit the new hosting setup. Everything is working ok, but no one can log in, when you try to it just throws you to the people.php. Also password recovery doesn't work so no one can post on the forums now. This is kind of a big deal because that forum is the only part of the site that is actually alive and I'd like to keep it. :)

Does anyone maybe knows what could be causing that problem?

PS

It is Vanilla version 1.0.1, I never got myself to upgrade it because all of those UTF issues.

Comments

• Options
    Have you change the cookie settings for the new location correctly?
  • Options
    I haven't changed cookie settings because nothing has actually changed besides the nameservers. Or am I doing it wrong? (Cookie settings are a part of conf/settings.php right?)
  • Options
    Hmm, that's true, firstly I'd suggest upgrading to 1.1.2 cause the way sessions/cookies are used are different (and there is a big Wiki article about encoding issues which should be able to pull you through) and also double check that sessions are correctly configured on your server.
  • Options
    Probably not helpful, but do you happen to use a non-English language? If so, if you exported the DB and the export file was standard MIME, it will have corrupted all the UTF-8 data into simple ASCII, and thus your users wouldn't be able to log in if they had non-US/UK letters in their names or passwords. But you'd be able to tell quickly, because most of the other data (text) on your forum would look corrupted too.

-Andy
  • Options
    @ Minisweeper:

I have gone through the UTF hell once and I am not keen on doing it again, so I'll try the upgrading option as a last resort.

@ Andy K:

I doubt it's that because all the non-english characters are fine. I have done this before, I can't see what could be the problem now...
  • Options
    Turns out Minisweeper was right, it was cokies that were causing the trouble, they were set to www.mysite.com, and I had some rules in htaccess to redirect everything to mysite.com (no "www").

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
This discussion has been closed.