Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Major drop in performance after enabling discusiontags

edited June 2007 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Hi all,

I noticed a major drop in performance after installing the discussiontags extention. Page load drops from 2 seconds to 20 seconds.
I looked at the code and noticed that for every topic shown on the discussion page a sql query is executed.

Does any body know it is possible to just join the tag table in the initial query. And for that matter if there is a "api" way off adding inner/outher joins to an existing query, that can greatly reduce database calls and boost performance no matter what number of addons are installed.

Comments

• Options
    Yes, there is a way to add to the initial query. You have to use delegation, attach to the PreGetDiscussionBuilder or PostGetDiscussionBuilder delegates and grab the reference to the SqlBuilder and add your additional joins, columns, and whatever. DiscussionFilters does this to limit the query to more specific discussions. Getting the data out is a bit more complicated... but its still possible.
  • Options
    i have to look into that, since i am pretty new to vanilla. (our forum is just up for 2 weeks) and i liked the performance of vanilla over Vbullitin until the tagging system.
    but my users are screeming for tags, so i have to jump in to tweaking this addon further to my likings because it is not usable at this point.
This discussion has been closed.