Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Anyone successful getting Vanilla and XAMPP working?

edited August 2005 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
I wanted to setup a local installation on my computer to play around with styles before uploading to an actual server. I'm running WinXP Pro and downloaded XAMPP. Wondering if anyone is running this combination?

Apache 2 / PHP 5.0.4

Is there an alternative method for me to get Vanilla running locally?

Comments

• Options
    i believe that if you search there's been at least one other thread where it's come up that vanilla under php5 has some issues.

i had/have it running locally on my computer at work using the foxserv installer but that's still apache 1.something and php 4.3, i think.
  • Options
    I did do a search and found the post about php 5. I switched back to php 4 to see if I could get it running but it didn't work. I'm going to check out foxserv. I you managed to get it running locally with that I'll use it :)
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    I liked XAMPP running on my laptop for a while, however it did seem a bit flakey to me so I didn't really get to check it out.
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    Alright! Thanks to nifkin's recommendation for Foxserv I have a local copy of Vanilla to play around with.

Lech.. I'm thinking XAMPP's flakiness was the reason for my problems.

Moving on now... Does anyone know if Vanilla is easier on server load as opposed to something like IPB? I'm contemplating getting another forum running. I had to take down IPB because it was sucking up too much of the resources.
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    edited August 2005
    Vanilla hardly seems to leave much of a footprint. Even under heavy load it appears to be fairly consistant and highly stable. To clarify my tie-ups with XAMMP: it was primarily the starup/shutdown executable and lack of sql/database options. Otherwise the setup appeared to run pretty flawlessly, I just didn't have much "hands on" access as I would under a bsd/nix account. Use windows for the desktop, but rarely ever used it for a server environment. I just don't trust it in that regard.
  • Options
    That's awesome then.. As soon as I get a custom style thrown together I'll load up.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    I develop Vanilla on Windows XP Pro with IIS as my web server. I just downloaded php and mysql (both of which were a snap to install) and I was off to the races.
  • Options
    mark - purely out of interest have you managed to get php and asp running along side each other fine and dandy? I'm having major troubles trying to get php to run alongside IIS for SUS on my w2k server at work and would appreciate a little help if you think you could.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    edited August 2005
    I haven't done any ASP coding in years, but I do run asp.net applications alongside my php apps without any hassle. It didn't take any special configuration at all. I don't see why it should be any different for asp. It all depends on what file extensions you've associated with what parsers. Go to Internet Information Services Right click on your web site and select properties Click the Home Directory tab Click Configuration Your extension mappings are there.
  • Options
    Hmm..well my first issue is that i didnt realise IIS could support php and therefore i installed xampp seperately, and then IIS doesnt like sharing its ip even though its on a different port (it also doesnt like sharing the port when the 2 services are running on different ip's stupid software) So i've removed xampp, but i think in my fiddling i've really upset IIS. Is it possible to just reinstall it? Obviously formatting the server is out the question..
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    If it's XP, then you should be able to uninstall it. Try "Control Panel" > "Add/Remove Programs" > "Remove Windows Components"
  • Options
    For completely uninstalling items from my XP box I use the uninstall function in RegCleaner. It cleans out everything associated with the uninstalled application / utilities ect.
  • Options
    its win2k, i think i tried that but i might not have been concentrating - i'll give it a go when i get into work tomorrow. Is regcleaner free? does it work with windows componants? and link?
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure this is the version I'm using:

RegCleaner

I'll have to wait until I get home to check the exact version.
  • Options
    I set up a Vanilla forum for testing on my pc. I'm running XAMPP v1.4.13 (Apache 2.0.53, PHP 5.0.4) and at first, it threw me a bunch of errors about failing to open the files for inclusion, but that was an easy fix. I opened the settings.php file and escaped the backslashes on this line: define("agAPPLICATION_PATH", "C:\apachefriends\xampp\htdocs\vanilla/"); so now it looks like this: define("agAPPLICATION_PATH", "C:\\apachefriends\\xampp\\htdocs\\vanilla/"); It seems to work just fine now. Using forward slashes instead of backslashes works too.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Oooo- that's a good find. You should add that to the bugs list so I can make it switch to forward slashes by default on windows machines.
  • Options
    NIce tip Marti. I would go back to using XAMPP after reading that tip but I'm too lazy to change everything again. Bookmarked though.
  • Options
    completely theoretical and untested, but. from my understanding of how PHP handles strings and special characters within them (like backslash+character codes like \t, \n, etc. which is why that's messing up on windows) if you wrap things in single quotes instead of double quotes it should clear that up shouldn't it?

taking it from:

define("agAPPLICATION_PATH", "C:\apachefriends\xampp\htdocs\vanilla/");

to:

define('agAPPLICATION_PATH','C:\apachefriends\xampp\htdocs\vanilla\');

or am i totally wrong? (which wouldn't be a surprise either.)
This discussion has been closed.