Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

start new discussion button?

edited July 2007 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
In the upper left hand corner we have the "Start a new discussion" text. Is there a way to turn this into a graphic button? Some of my beta testers don't see it because they're used to seeing a graphic they can click on. I can design and host the button as long as there aren't any special dimensions to heed. If there are, what are they? Where would I put this code?

Comments

• Options
    I guess you can do that in the css?
  • Options
    do you know which line(s) I should look at?
  • Options
    hmmm..it seems it's just the Panel h1 element in which case if you add a background image on there it might mess up anything else using h1 in the panel (if there is anything)...i guess you could add another class into the theme or something? (kinda thinking out loud here, i'm really very inexperienced with css i'm afraid)
  • Options
    that's okay. I'll keep trying to figure it out. I appreciate the effort though.
  • Options
    What if I just want to change the text from "Start a new discussion" to "Create New Topic" or something? Would that be in the languages somewhere?
  • Options
    Apparently that was it. I just edited the definitions.php
  • Options
    Mini is right about the css:#Panel h1 a { background: url('http://wallphone.com/logosm.gif') center no-repeat; display: block; height: 33px; width: 180px; text-indent: -180px; }

Adding an A in there will do this on H1s that contain a link--hopefully there won't be any

This defines the location of the image, how it should appear on the screen, height should be set to whatever your image height is, image width must be less than 180px, since that is the hard-coded width of the panel, and the text-indent line moves the "start a new discussion" text off the screen.
  • Options
    WallPhone, that was AWESOME! Thank you. I can't believe I didn't think of it, but I'm so glad you did. Very cool!
  • Options
    Mini thought of it... I just translated it into CSS. (honestly, I never would have thought of using CSS... would have suggested the more complicated editing of themes/panel.php)
  • Options
    High five wallphone!
  • Options
    The only bad thing about it is in the private messages part because there are two instances of that CSS. So you get two Add Topic buttons haha. oh well. I'll see if I can clean that up.
  • Options
    That was the conflict I mentioned.. :) You could get around that by messing with either the vanilla theme or the private messages css/theme I guess.
  • Options
    I'll give that a shot. I had a feeling I may be able to do it in the private messages stuff so I'll see what I can do. If I get any good results I shall post them.
This discussion has been closed.