Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Possible to import IPB SQL database?

edited August 2005 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Is it possible? Not sure how to go about doing it. I found the phpBB conversation. I'm assuming the sql database can be merged with Vanilla?

Comments

• MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    edited August 2005
    Anything should be able to be ported over. I've never personally used any of the other forum packages out there (or seen their structure), so I know nothing about their structure or the intricacies of importing them. But I'm sure that as long as people keep asking, someone will get around to writing scripts to import them all.
  • I havent seen the IPB structure but if you want to send me a copy database i might have a go at writing a migrator when i have some free time this week. If you know php atall yourself you should be able to do a pretty good job of it (feel free to look at mine/mail me if you think i can help atall)
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    *loves mini*
  • *notes mark has TONS of free time and still hasnt made a phpbb migrator release* You just cant get the staff these days...
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    *wastes oodles of free time*
  • mines I'll probably be tapping you on the shoulder for a little help when I get back home tonight.
  • Or convert IPB to phpBB and then use mini's convertor...

• haha chris, not such a bad idea. Would be nicer to have seperate converters for each existing board though, i imagine more than one person will want to convert from IPB?
  • mini, it IS a good idea ;-)

I was supposed to be working on a vB one. But didn't find the time. So I've gone through the process of converting from... vBulletin to IPB to phpBB to Vanilla... long task, but it's worked quite well.
  • haha. well if you can hook me up with the converters that are out there i'll work them together for the benefit of everyone else.
  • Will do, I'll send them through tomorrow.
  • edited August 2005
    Awesome.. sounds like some converters are in the works :) Maybe I'll wait a little bit... minisweeper king!
  • well knowing the speed i work when i say i'll do them it'l probably be within the next couple of decades, if you want to have a go yourself and then pass it my way if you get stuck youre *more* than welcome ;)
  • OK.. Where can I find this IPB to phpBB converter? Or maybe I should search the forum.
  • Take a look on the phpBB forums unfortunate, or wait for me to upload it tomorrow. =)
  • Well I'll sit tight. No rush.. I enjoy the helpfullness of members here. :)
  • Any ideas?

• haha, well bumped, i'd completely forgotten about this. http://www.phpbb.com/downloads.php has all the existing ->phpBB converters at the bottom; i also noticed something about a "Unified Converter System" which i'll have a look into - it might be worth making something similar for vanilla so you can plug something basic into it and it'l spit out a vanilla database. In any case if i dont post in this again tonight bump it for me cause i'll probably have forgotten about it.
  • Starts tossing a big bouncy ball against the wall waiting for the day to pass to bump mini

• lol. just got home from work1, heading out to work2, i'll be back in 4 hours.