Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

For your learning pleasure: Administration Docs

lechlech Chicagoland
edited August 2005 in Vanilla 1.0 Help

THEY ARE DONE! I think

If some of you out there would care to look them over, it would be much appreciated to know that they're at least semi-accurate and that I've covered just about everything that needs to be known from an Admin standpoint. Everything from setting up to tips and tweaking. I know mini helped in there too somewhere but so far I think I've covered everything that needs to be covered with some help of course...

I also think that I made the installation docs a bit too long and they could possibly be split up like so:

• Installation and upgrading (upgrading info and installation topics)
    • Automatic Installation (auto install detail)
    • Manual Installation (manual install detail)

Ok, release the grammar and spelling nazis!

Comments

• lamentlament
    edited August 2005
    nazi's

nazis plural, not possessive. :)

and now i'll go look.. :)

update: wow this is too much reading for 1am.. i'll tackle some tomorrow.. or should we break this up?
  • lechlech Chicagoland
    edited August 2005
    personal note: hurt lament. :D read it at your own leisure, I just killed some free time today knocking the remaining topics out and plan to keep them as updated as much as humanly possible until mark says to otherwise. Yeah, it's a bit of reading all together, some are pretty brief, and many of them (installation docs mainly) are a pretty big read.
  • thanks lech. I will look over these tomorrow (about 12pm) and post any problems. I have a wiki account, but I think this is your domain, so I will let yo uchange them.
  • lechlech Chicagoland
    bump* :D
  • Thanks Lech.
  • lechlech Chicagoland
    you're welcome :) and thanks to mark, we all have some wonderful forum source code :D I just want to hear back from those who've read all those docs I wrote to see if everything so far looks alright.
  • edited August 2005
    Reading them now. First problem:

Once you have navigated to, and are sitting in the same folder as the installer.php file, run the following commands to apply the following permissions:

chmod 666 appg/settings.php
    chmod 666 appg/language.php
    chmod 666 appg/extensions.php
    chmod 666 database.sql
    chmod 757 images/
    The LAST line should not recommend 757 permissions. I have spoken with mark about this, and MANY new servers will not run PHP scripts in a directory with such a high permissions. 755 works just fine, so I think the lowest required permissions the better.
  • sorry, that was in the following doc: Installation & Setup Help > Automated Installation > Step 1 of 3: Upload & Prep the files.
  • edited August 2005
    Another point. In Step 2 of 3: Installation & Setup Help > Automated Installation > Creating the database,

There is nothing showing/ telling you the BASIC steps to actually create the database. As vanilla is so easy to use and install, many NEWBIE type people may use it, and they may have no idea how to create the actual database so the script can load the definitions.

Not sure if you want to address this though.

EDIT: Just finished reading that section, and I saw the bit down the bottom about asking your web host for the details, or to ask them to create the db.

No more problems in that section.
  • The rest of the installation docs are fine. They read well and are easy to understand. I also fixed few spelling/ grammar errors, but they are not worth your attention (especially as i fixed them). I will add a bit about phpMyAdmin as an alternative to the command line database entry. I train my clients in it (they hate the command line). Lech, if you don't mnd, I will have you read it first. Now, onto the other pages. I promise I will write down any more problems, and post them in ONE comment per section next time. Sorry from flooding this thread.
  • lechlech Chicagoland
    edited August 2005
    The LAST line should not recommend 757 permissions. I have spoken with mark about this, and MANY new servers will not run PHP scripts in a directory with such a high permissions. 755 works just fine, so I think the lowest required permissions the better.

I was actually thinking this myself, Nathan, I'll take that out when I do the next revision. Other than perhaps perl, php shouldn't even need these kinds of permissions. I also noticed this was only the issue with Vanilla pre 0.9.2 as all of the installer scripts before that behaved oddly and mark has since ironed that out.

Thanks for correcting any spelling errors :) I doubt I'll see them unless you've changed an entire sentence contradicting or confusing anything written before it. So no big deal there so long as it's all the same

Please do let me see any phpMyAdmin documents you do come up with. I've grown so acustomed to the command line, that phpMyAdmin is an over-sized front-end toy to me that I still don't know what to do with. If it can help me, I'm positive then that it can help anyone else :)
  • </i> for lech
  • fs. someone paste that. and let douchebags write html :(
  • lechlech Chicagoland
    </em>! it's </em>!
  • lechlech Chicagoland
    but it was actually because I wrote <stong> instead of <strong>
  • I'll get to work on the phpMyAdmin docs in the morning. I have only corrected/ changed individual words and WON'T change any sentences without your permission. I understand it is a wiki, but you have done the work so you should know if anything else needs changing (big stuff I mean). BTW: I am using American english. IF i were using my own (Australian english), I would be changing MANY more words. I think American english is standard here.
  • lechlech Chicagoland
    haha, yeah, no big deal about major changes as long as it's still within context, I honestly don't mind. Mini started one of the docs and left them half-way so I finished up with it and wrote another there after. As long as I don't see silly things like color to colour, I'm fine. I'll probably come in later and change things again. As long as it's not a war of words and it all means the same thing, it shouldn't make a big difference.
  • personally i think we should use english english since english people invented english and stop letting you fuckers break our english english and take it as your foreign english.
  • lechlech Chicagoland
    /me slaps minisweeper around with the queen!
This discussion has been closed.