Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

[installer] Suggestion: chmod --recursive

edited August 2007 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Installing it says:

chmod --recursive 755 ./extensions
chmod --recursive 755 ./languages
chmod --recursive 755 ./setup
chmod --recursive 755 ./themes
"--recursive" might be a pretty linux-only switch. On BSD there is no such thing. What is available on every Linux/Unix is -R though. So it would be nice to replace "--recursive" with "-R".

Also, on the chmod 777 suggestion (on the same page). I'd elaborate a bit so people e.g. only set this up when it's necessary. Many webhosters run PHP as CGI which uses the current user anyway and no such thing as chmod 777 (which makes it world-writable) is necessary.

Comments

• Most users are changing it by ftp anyway!? Very few actually have a ssh connection or whatever. I do have it on some sites, but when I actually need to chmod something (so actually nearly never) I'm still using ftp since it's far easier Is bsd even used in "simple" webhosting? I have linux everywhere but otherwise *agreed* ;-) there really has to be a detailed explanation what chmod is in the install process. is calling chmod() of any use? or is changing not required anyway if chmod() can do it?
  • In simple webhosting? I don't know, define simple. But really, I have just never seen "--recursive" at all. I probably never bothered but I have been on Debian, Redhat/FC, Gentoo, Ubuntu and various BSDs.

(If you care about stability and security BSD is the weapon of choice. I think it's not used as often because the major control panels do not support it (Plesk does, but don't know about others). I guess also hardware can be an issue if you run some lowcost blend etc.. But I really never had those problems. Been running BSD for years.)

You are probably right - most users will use FTP, but why is that note there anyway? ;-)

Regarding chmod() - no idea, I have not tested if you are for example uploading a script as user "alex" you could "chmod 777" if the webserver runs under a different account. Might get to complicated.

For example, I am running lighttpd and PHP (fast-cgi). I do not need to change the permissions at all, so I guess the best would be to completely skip over this part when the directory is writable (is_readable(), is_writable()) already and no changes are required.
  • --recursive is definitely an option in debian, redhat, and ubuntu. i don't use gentoo so i couldn't say. but since -R works in both, you're right, the instructions should be updated. i always use -R.
  • yeah same here, php runs as same user as ftp and so on so skipping the chmod step would be pretty nice. It's no problem for me to just click on "next" or whatver, but others might try to chmod while they actually don't have to
This discussion has been closed.