Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

headers already sent errors while skinning

edited August 2005 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
hello hello everyone, i am attempting integrate my vanilla board (0.9.2.2) into a table my few year old site. the site is in html 4.01 and i know the forum is xhtml 1, which may or may not be part of the problem? anyway, i am almost to the point where i got it working. i am php including .shtml files (as that is what the site is written in) within each of root files ( /index.php, /search.php, signin.php, etc.). however, when i do this i keep on getting errors that are just slightly different than: Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at http://sub.domain.com/doc.shtml:5) in /home/public_html/vanillaforum/library/Vanilla.Session.class.php on line 27 i have a feeling that it is my fault and not vanilla's. however, i've notice that the people on this board know what they are talking about. so i ask for any assistance people are wiling to share. otherwise, vanilla makes me soooo happy to finally escape phpbb.

Comments

• Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    You're probably better off not including files from vanilla at all. Vanilla writes out it's own headers and other information, so by including it into your own files, you're only making it difficult for yourself. I don't see why you need to include Vanilla files in the first place. If you just want to change the theme of things simply alter the css files.
  • Options
    This is probably because your documents are making an output before php gets chance to send its headers - and it doesnt like that. As for fixing it...i'll leave that to mark! I'd assume you need to fiddle with the order of execution or something but without having had a decent look at the source i'n not 100% (Incidentally, have you seen the phpBB migrator? :))
  • Options
    lech, the way i got it to work to the point i did was by including the site into vanilla. vanilla did not like it at all i actually do know a little bit about css and was able to modify the css to the point where the theme looks like i want it to. the problem is that the way vanilla looks is very different to the way the rest of the site looks. i demand continuity, even for my 404's. haaha. mini, that does make sense. one thing i did do was take away the old head and i got the same result. i also saw the migrator but i don't have a previous forum to migrate over for this particular project. however, other boards i'm privy to may be switched to vanilla and i will utitilze the migrator at that time.
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    I know it is hard for someone unfamilair with css, but it is possible to make it look like as you wish. Vanilla only looks like this because we told it to. There are no tables under the hood saying that the sidebar (panl) needs to be on the left. I could have it float in like shaun inman news site if I wanted. Do you have a link so I can see what you are talking bout?
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    found the link. sorry. will take a look now.

EDIT: I am an idiot. The link please. I can't believe I clicked on that one (sorry if this is your site :) )
  • Options
    nah, i don't own domain.com. if i did, i'd sell it for loot. i know css. i know that i can compel it to my will. i would, but what i am trying to bending it to fit into an admittedly aged site. it is more than making the panel on the right. actually, it isn't event that at all. i find the default board itself to be very logical and good looking. what i'm trying to do is stuff it inside of the site's normal 'template'. kind of like how orangeguru brutally added a zonkboard shoutbox to his vanilla (http://lussumo.com/community/comments.php?DiscussionID=675&page=1#Item_0), except i want to brutally add vanilla to my normal site. incedentally, vanilla's default flows so well, i'm going to use it as a starting point for another project that would actually be benefitted by having a forum rather than one being added onto.
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    hehe, I understand the need for being thorough with all aspects of any site, trust me, I like my 404's to look pretty and act perfectly as well. Even to get my css just right took some time and effort, but in the end it pays off completely. So simply put, don't try to import Vanilla into your application or your application into Vanilla, you'll only wind up with a bigger headache and twice the work.
  • Options
    that is seeming the thing to do. wish it weren't that way. to note, i'm not using any form of cms. it's hand coding because i like to be honest like that.
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    as an example of what i did for the files... basically i put in includes within the php itself.
    include("http://sub.domain.com/file.shtml");
    this is from /leave.php:

<?php
    /*
    * Copyright 2003 - 2005 Mark O'Sullivan
    * This file is part of Vanilla.
    * Vanilla is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
    * Vanilla is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details.
    * You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with Vanilla; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA
    * The latest source code for Vanilla is available at www.lussumo.com
    * Contact Mark O'Sullivan at mark [at] lussumo [dot] com
    * Description: Handle's user sign-outs
    */

include("appg/settings.php");
    include("appg/init_external.php");

// Define properties of the page controls that are specific to this page
    $Body->CssClass = "SignOut";
    $Context->PageTitle = $Context->GetDefinition("SignOut");
    $SignOutForm = $Context->ObjectFactory->NewContextObject($Context, "SignOutForm");
    $SignOutForm->LoadData();

$Body->AddControl($SignOutForm);
    $Foot->CssClass = "SignOut";

// Add the body to the page
    $Page->AddControl("Body_Render", $Body);
    $Page->AddControl("Foot_Render", $Foot);

// 4. FIRE PAGE EVENTS
    $Page->FireEvents();

?>
This discussion has been closed.