Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Special functionality for each category

peapea New
edited August 2005 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
I was wondering if it would be hard to develop extensions that are category-specific. Like for example have a Music category where you could easily add a list of mp3's to a playlist when you post, which would then result in a little Flash mp3 player that accompanies your post.

Right now it seems to go against the grain of Vanilla, but I haven't really looked very hard at the code yet, so I might be wrong. :')

Comments

• Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    IT'S PEA!
  • Options
    *pea waves*
  • Options
    *nathan has no idea who pea is, but to be poilite, he waves back*
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    PEA IS AWESOME! respect to the little green ball
  • Options
    i remember pea from o8?
  • Options
    Nope, I was never on o8.
  • Options
    you sure? i remember the name from somewhere.
  • Options
    hi peapea
  • Options
    h*mh*m
  • Options
    peapea New
    edited August 2005
    f*ck it! lol
  • Options
    but anyways, yeah i bet you could do that... you could just test what category you are in as part of the extension
  • Options
    rofl
  • Options
    hi pea, this would work with the usggestion i posted a while back for custom fields for specific categories/roles/blah... do a search.
  • Options
    peapea New
    edited August 2005
    Nice, I just read the topic, Stuart. Interesting.

I'll let you know if any progress is made in this area :')
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    This should be do-able, but it might make life easier if your extension had some extra information in the category table. I've been thinking that it might be useful to do the same thing with the role and category tables that I did with the user table - adding a "settings" field that stores an associative array of name/value pairs that extension authors can add to / remove from. Allowing you to customize those tables in any way you like without having to touch the database. I think I might put that in for the next rev.
This discussion has been closed.