Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Forum Lockdown

edited August 2005 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Anybody want to create an extension that will ultimately lock down the forum from any editing or adding to the database. No posting discussions, comments and no editing of profile.

Necessary when you'll manually editing the database, or backing up the database, or cleaning up stuff.

Comments

• lechlech Chicagoland
    I think that depending on the size of the operation, any new additions to the database while you're backing it up don't necessarily take effect. For example, if you're backing up and performing a mysqldump, the tables you're pulling from are either quickly dumped to a file, or loaded into memory. So anything there shouldn't flub, if im thinking right. But I get what you mean in case you just want to ultimatly prevent access while those operations take place and the process takes 2+ minutes to cycle.
  • I'm pretty sure backing up could be done without any major blip. I just think it could be cool =)

Also another reason could be if there's a serious case of spam attack from several tosspot members. The board could be shut down whilst a cleanup of spam posts take place.
  • lechlech Chicagoland
    i think the only time you'd encounter any major error in that last case is if say, 100 members all at once decided to post a 10mb posting WHILE you're doing a cpu/memory intensive backup/search&replace, however even under those circumstances, the most you would feel is a medium sized performance hit. Not to mention being left with quite a mess to clean up. Only option I could propose is maybe an extra max-char count per N ammount of time, but that would be taking and comparing possibly useless data and skim off the overhead we already have.
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    I think this would make for a pretty cool extension, though. I might even do it myself - someone want to add it to a "wanted extension" list? Yeah - that's a good idea, too! We should totally have a "requested extensions" list on the wiki and let people mark it down if they're developing one of them.
  • I'm sure there are are some other good reasons (i.e. bandwidth issues, updating, etc.) why an administrator would want to disable the forums. Vanilla, I'm sure, will need a "massage" every now and then.
  • edited August 2005
    mark, went ahead and created that section in the Wiki.

http://lussumo.com/docs/doku.php?id=vanilla:extensions#wanted_extensions
  • "Yeah - that's a good idea, too! We should totally have a "requested extensions" list on the wiki and let people mark it down if they're developing one of them." I'm sure i had a similar idea a while ago..?
  • your 15 minutes is over kind sir.
  • added the Participated Threads extension to the wikster..
  • Participated threads can be searched through the Advanced Search though, no?
  • sort of. but people want it as an extension like Bookmarks.
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    I think a participated threads would be a great filter to go in the "discussion filters" list. Another great one would be "Whisper threads" where you get to see any thread with a whisper by you or to you in it.
This discussion has been closed.