Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Roles and how they work

edited August 2005 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Clearly I know how they work, however. At the moment they work as follows;

If you de-activate a Role within a Category when editing categories, then that Role isn't allowed to VIEW the category.

However shouldn't it be that if you de-activate a Role within a category than that Role isn't allowed to POST within the category.

And under the Role settings for each Role it should list the Categories and which Category is and/or isn't be able to view.

Comments

• MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    This has been discussed in detail in a myriad of other threads. Maybe we should use this as the central thread for information about Roles. Anyway - the whole idea behind blocking roles from categories was to have private "admin only" forums and the like. There are no read/write right now, but it has been suggested and I've been considering the best way to do it. That will probably become an extension - I'm not entirely sure yet.
  • +1 for rwx style permissions for roles/categories. it could even be applied for discussions? thatd be messier though.
  • lechlech Chicagoland
    /me cheers some more on the rwx idea!
  • So mark, if I created an "admin" category and under roles only allowed mods and admin, would regular members still be able to read discussions? I know they wouldn't be able to post comments.
  • lechlech Chicagoland
    Unfortunate: At the moment, if you include a certain role to have access to a particular category, only those roles you include will have access to read & write to that category.
  • OK thanks. I'll use the roles to define mod / admin read & write for a special category. I guess I just got confused with the wording.

This discussion has been closed.