Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

impressive web sites you have seen

edited November 2007 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
my favs 2advanced.com and smashingmagazine.com for a web design blog

Comments

• Max_BMax_B New
    edited November 2007
    IMO, flash design is not web design. It's not standard based, proprietary, does not scale nor indexes well, bloats…

As a blog, I rather like alistapart.com. There are many other out there i can't remember at the moment.
  • You took the words right out of my mouth Max_B. Flash sites are "impressive" but they tend to stay the same for a long time. I suppose it depends on the site intent and its audience but totaly Flash sites do little for me.

Flash is like a condiment, a little adds flavour, too much spoils the meal!
  • edited November 2007
    i admit some flash sites do stay the same from time to time but you can't ignore the fact that they deliver a experience like no other visit thefwa.com to see what im talking about, alot of sites that will blow you away - then tell me flash sites do little for you :D
  • Mate, I see Flash sites all the time, I work with talented Flash developers, but web sites that turn me on are those that provide me with the information I want quickly and pleasantly.

Waiting for Flash to load is not pleasant, if I want entertainment and I have time, fair enough.

Now that's not to say these guys are not talented. It's like seeing a tricked up sports car with shiny chrome and a nice paint job. No doubting it's a work of art and a joy to behold but it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Horses for courses I guess.
  • guess i just dont get the point of flash not being web design - and in some aspects flash brings you the content faster by no reloading the browser and preloading the entire site bah
  • thats a site that impressed me..

http://www.grabarzundpartner.de/system/

everytime you reload the page you log in as an other user. every user has other background images, other files/sound/videos on their hdd and other emails and so on..

but it's completely in german..
  • Now that's impressive in any language, I wonder if he's going to "upgrade" it to Leopard?
  • My point is: web design use web (open) standards (x)html, css, svg, dom, javascript.
    Flash is a proprietary model embedded in html objects. It has some strengths and flaws as well.
    I'll not follow Wanderer on the matter of content but stay on "political" aspect.
    Flash is a successful commercial attempt to privatize web design tools.

And yes, there are good sites in flash, that's not my point.
This discussion has been closed.