Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Scaling Issue

edited November 2007 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Issue is as follows:

1. Forum Database of over 300 MB in size; MySQL seems to store it happily.

2. Vanilla 1.1.4 installed.

Performance with or without extensions enabled was very slow; as the database grew, the problem grew worse. Eventually, the service provider had to switch it off.

Particularly slow pages included:

1. Home Page

2. Applications settings page

The ISP has said that it generates an "unusually large number" of requests on the CPU. This was sufficient that with only a dozen or so users on the forum to bring down the server. THis has been tried on two different ISPs.

Thanks.

Comments

• More detailed information:

The site holds approximately 18,200 discussions.
    892 users.
    Until recently, IP addresses were logged.
    136198 Unique Guests

The following extensions are enabled:

ParticipatedThreads

BetterBBCode

BBInsertBar

comments_permalinks

DiscussionTags

LatestPostsIntegration

Smile

GuestWelcome

DiscussionPages

NewApplicants

PanelLists

Poll

AjaxQuote

DiscussionCounters

RSS2

CategoryJumper

PrivateMessages

UserTasks

WhosOnline

Blog

DuplicateEmailCheck

Statistics

HtmlFormatter

PreviewPost

SpellChecker

MemberGoogleMap

PageMng

ReportPost

CommentRemoval

LowCalVanilla

Nugget

Thank you.
  • You may want to look into SimpleCache. This extension saves the page to disk and will serve the disk copy on subsequent requests for a time, drastically reducing load to MySQL.
  • I'd also suggest removing extensions such as Statistics and Who's Online. If you moved to using a caching extension these would be reasonably useless anyway. I really cant see any reason whatsoever why the app settings page would be slow to load as pretty much all the information (if not all of it?) comes from flat files... To be honest with a forum of that size, depending how active it is (18k discussions over how long?) I'd consider moving to either a virtual dedicated server or a physical dedicated server. This site (along with a few other of Mark's sites and projects - I'm not sure how many there are) run on a physical dedicated box and as you can see it performs fine and is pretty active. Obviously this isnt a cheap option but if you're running a forum of that size presumably there's a pretty solid use for it?
  • edited November 2007
    If lots of guests read your forum, SimpleCache will be very efficient since it stores one file (for every request) for all the guests (is my sentence clear?).
    Not sure but caching (almost) every page for guest for only one minute could be great.

@mini: you say "Stats and Who's Online would be reasonably useless" if using a cache extension, could you detail please?
  • Well it depends what the cache settings were. I was just thinking that if you cached the page for, say, 10 minutes (i realise that's a lot), the data would soon be pretty out of date in which case they may aswell be turned off. As an aside, I think both of these extensions have some kind of caching built in anyway to reduce DB load.
This discussion has been closed.