Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How to change what the links are named?

edited November 2007 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
I've got friendly urls installed, but i don't want the link to say, blahblah.com/discussion/ how could i change discussion to something else? Which file to i have to hack?

Comments

• Not sure what you mean by this mate?
    The whole thinking behind friendly URLs is to include the discussion name in the URL to keep search engines happy.

Even if you removed friendly URLs there would still be "blahblah" in the link.

Maybe we could get an add-on to hack the http protocol but that would need to re-write the internet and that won't happen for a while yet, certainly not before Christmas! :-)
  • I totally didn't put it the right way ;) i just meant to rename "discussions/" to maybe "topics/" :)
  • I know what you meant mate, I was just being a pain, bit of a slow day at work today ;-)

Does "discussions" come from the language definitions?

I wish I had FTP access so I could check my definitions file :-(
  • Well, after enough digging around i've found that the link name comes from the appg settings file, so i copied what i wanted to change from that file and added it to my conf/settings.php file, I have a golf site i'm working on and i changed categories/ to golf-topics/ :)
  • How would this effect links already established in the database?
  • Try it and report back to us ;)
  • Not me, the wayneman is the brave one!

Posted: Monday, 12 November 2007 at 6:15PM

• It seems to work guys... I've renamed the /categories to /golf-topics and i updated that in the .htacess for the friendly urls, no problems here...
This discussion has been closed.