Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

The uselessness of "Bookmark thread" interpreted

edited November 2007 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
A while after joining my forum, I started a discussion: "Does 'Bookmark thread' actually do anything?" Got one reply: someone saying surely it must, though they didn't know what - be a good newby and shut up.

The truth? Without Discussion filters, bookmarks are a pseudo-feature: part of a system whose other essential parts have been omitted. You think they will be personal stickies, but they just ride the stream to oblivion. Can't search for them, can't filter: can only find them by paging through manually (90 pages, on my site): this, on a computer? Baffling, archaic, daft.

Does it really seem correct to ship with a pseudo-feature people have to scratch their heads over, and identify as nugatory?

Diagnosis: a principle - minimalism - taken to the point of a fetish. Lean is good, but this is anorexia.

And probably useless to say so - as it is with anorexia. Those who care end up watching in dismay, and grieving for opportunities lost. My forum is, after a year, about to ditch Vanilla. They didn't know enough to repair the self-mutilation. But they shouldn't have to.

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2007
    Don't be surprised if bookmarks disappear in Vanilla 2, along with whispers. Minimalism itself may not be ideal, but minimalism plus extensibility is wonderful.

I do like that idea to make bookmarks personal stickies. Let it be so.
  • Options
    Well - better no feature than a pseudofeature, and at least you guys are consistent.

Great to see this extension done.
  • Options
    I do agree that the bookmarks option should be take out the core (or something that uses it put in, but that's less likely)
This discussion has been closed.