Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

member roll

gosh, i'm very active this month, so be patient with me guys :)

ok here we go, its pretty self-explaining , well, member roll = randomly/with each page refresh, and the icons are the vanilla membericons, and in the case that there is none linked or uploaded: background: #FFFFF url('32x32.gif') left top no-repeat;

i thought latest discussion prime would be the perfect enviroment to start this off.

theroll

setting

ps: i could help out with the complete css if neccesairy

*takes cover*

Comments

• Options
    this looks quite cool. hope somone will code it :)
  • Options
    I think it would make more sense to include avatars/member motto with the Who's Online addon.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    @mis

well this wouldnt make sense to me, especially because youre who-is-online-addon looks pretty empty with only 10 or 20 active users a day. i talk about registered users, and not about active users. the script shows only registered members, and _not_ active members online.

it's also an highly effective marketing tool, and the side-effect is the motto and the usericon, and it was really not meant as an online counter :D

this feature works extremely good and efficient, just take a look at those xrated ads here and there, or the some other regular social network sites, they use almost the same thing , well only without the motto idea which makes the whole thing more "interactive".

in the end, you have to understand marketing as well, to understand this addon idea.
  • Options
    Pretty interesting idea. I would use such an extension for sure... I like the motto concept.
  • Options
    A vote from me too. Perhaps the motto should be located near the top of the page where it could be accessable from any page. That way the users can change there motto as they browse the forum.
  • Options
    You mean with some AJAX stuff? That would be very Facebook-like, neat idea.
  • Options
    VazVaz New
    edited December 2007
    Yep just like that. :P Avcorse it's kind of complicating things but even a simple version would be fine.
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    ajax wouldnt make sense here, also not the idea with the "change motto on all areas", because if this roll shows up 5 users at the same time , and you got 5000 registered members for example, then it takes a little while until your new motto appears..something between 2-4 hours, and only if you're lucky :D

and massive http requests aka. ajax ... bad idea if we talk about performance (server load).
  • Options
    VazVaz New
    edited December 2007
    I'm not sure if were talking about the same thing. When I said 'change motto on all areas', I ment the ability to change the motto. So, something like a text field (without the ajax) that appears at the top of the page with a submit button for every user?

Here's how facebooks 'status' feature works.

When I thought about vanilla I was actually thinking on the lines of....
    (click to enlarge)
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    yes, i undesrstand, but it really makes sense if we talk about a realtime app, if not its just a waste of header spacing, and some uneccesary extra work for the coder.

at least, a quick-setting makes only sense to me if the result is also quick or in other words "realtime", but the member roll is not a realtime-members-roll-shoutbox or such , not even a who is online indicator :D
  • Options
    klipklip New
    edited December 2007
    I guess Vaz mean't in place editable your motto, so whenever you wan't just clicks on the motto and puts there a new one. So you don't to have go to Account settings page.
    You can use the motto as mood indicator or something like that
    But I might be wrong.

Maybe the thing I'm thinking about should be completely different extension, so you can have mood displayed together with username and then yould be able to change the mood quickly by ajax in place editable text

edit: sorry my bad english in this comment I'm not native english speaker and I was little bit high ;-D
  • Options
    @Klip - yep, that's exactly what I mean. :) @Fery - I understand what your saying but I'm one of those guys who really likes to express himself with his little web community every two minutes. So, even if the member roll rotates and the chances of me being viewed are little, I'd preffer easy access to change the motto rather than having to go all the way into the personal information page. The in place editable field doesnt have to but up there but I think should be accessable on most pages. But as you said, this is some 'extra work' so I still support the idea even if it's simple as origionally planned.
  • Options
    well i would say, we can widen or extend the features after we have the basics, apropos.

so i think we should get this on track somehow.

so what is the next step?

i think there are 3 options so far:

1) we wait until 20XX to se if something or nothing happens.
    2) we beg and beset mark to invest 2-4 hours to make this "cool" but meanwhile basic and popular community feature for vanilla (we all have jobs and a private life but...but!).
    3) or we collect 50-100$ and we pay a young motivated coder if option 1) and 2) fails.

the last option is a pisser, but better than option 1).
    any other ideas or options guys ?
  • Options
    I think the formal time scale should be upto 2015. If option 1 and 2 fail, we should consider option 2.5 before going onto 3. Option 2 1/2 = We kidnap Bill Gates, introduce him to Vanilla and have him employ his code monkeys to develop and expand this addon. :D
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    well your formal timescale is a also a pisser , such as bill gates :D
    how about steve jobs?

well, oh well, okay who want to code this, all admiration is guaranteed mister strange coder !
  • Options
    Would be easier to have your motto somewhere in the side panel (control panel, right?) together with all other stuff. Having caption 'Your motto' following on next row by completely ordinary text stating your current motto. Then on click on the motto it would turn it into ordinary text input field followed by links 'save' and 'cancel'. This would be possible to do by current Vanilla framework very easily and in-place editor is in scriptaculous: http://wiki.script.aculo.us/scriptaculous/show/Ajax.InPlaceEditor As I said I think this might be completely different add-on cooperating with member roll. This would be Mood extension, which would allow you to change the mood in the above way and it would display the mood everywhere besides your username. member roll would display your motto which is IMHO something different, but there might be an option to display there also the current mood of a user At the moment I'm really very busy (check my todo list on my account page) but if nobody won't code this add-on and I'll be still interested, then I think the time scale is some day in 2008 :p
  • Options
    well , however.

would be nice to get some really interactive and catchy addons for vanilla, such like this one here.

so if you do it klip , youre da man of the hour :D
  • Options
    i've found a "kind" of the member roll on this site here, seems like a popular feature

http://www.frazr.com/de/
  • Options
    this looks cool how is it coming along?
  • Options
    helloes,
    any news here?
This discussion has been closed.