Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

nexstar3!

lechlech Chicagoland
edited August 2005 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Wow, I just hooked up one of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817145132 and it's fucking SWEET!

Comments

• Options
    i have 2 of the 160gb lacie (porsche designed!!) ones. theyre nice.
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    Yeah, I was looking to see if they offered just the cases for those, but couldn't find anything, otherwise I would have bought them if they were available. But this Vantec NexStar3 is probably the best $40 investment I've made to manage all of these spare drives I have laying around. I just kind of wish they were stackable so I could slap a bunch atop each other or next to one another.
  • Options
    Oh sorry, i didnt quite realise it was an enclosure not an external drive. I have an external caddy and an internal removeable drivebay but i wasnt impressed with either (mainly due to the hardware i was using them with) So in the end i went for the lacies as they look rather sexy and feel nice and sturdy. Cheapest way i found of backing up, certainly.
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    Well, for what it's worth, this thing is rock solid aluminum. not the cheap plastic some of these other enclosures might be. So in that aspect, it works and looks great.
  • Options
    well the caddy i had was either aluminium or steel, but it was bolted together (to make it easier to take apart). I guess it was pretty solid it was just nowhere near as satisfying as the lacies (to be expected i guess). The removeable drivebay (icydock) was nice but for some reason my server *hated* doing backups and it was impractical to give people access to correctly unload the drive and w2k shits itself if you dont. Then the pc i moved the backup to didnt have usb headers. So meh.
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    This morning I've been going through all my old drives laying around here, one by one, loading them up, checking what's on them, and wiping them out for the blank reserves. I have found one disappointing bit about the nexstar3 for this type of use. The backpanel access is rather flimsy and made of simple plastic. Not exactly the full aluminum case I was expecting like the rest of it. Also since there's a lead for the front led activity light that fits to the tray, pulling the case apart has a tendancy to literally rip out the jumper pin if you pull it apart suddenly. Not sure how much more of this it can handle. Otherwise it's a supurb assembly if you're just willing to set and forget about it.
This discussion has been closed.