Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Javascript Q? passing php var to script

edited January 2008 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
I don't know javascript, but I want to include a script I found online in an extension I'm working on. The thing is, I want to pass a Configuration setting to the script.

The script will be added through my extension with the ol' $Head->AddScript(). Will the following code correctly pass the value?

<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript"> function Example(value) { if (value==<?php echo $this->Context->Configuration['ExampleSetting']; ?>) { ... } } </script>

Thanks!

Comments

• This is quite confusing: a <script> tag and using $Head->AddScript().
    This should NOT work if you put php code in a .js using $Head->AddScript() but then you don't need the <script> tag.
    In CommentLinks, I remember learning a good trick for solving this problem:
    // Pass the discussion info to the javascript. We hide the menus incase any were opened before page load completes. if ( strstr(strtolower($Context->BodyAttributes), 'onload=') ) { $Context->BodyAttributes = str_replace('onload="', 'onload="BaseUrl=\''. $Context->Configuration['BASE_URL'] . '\';DefaultFormat=\''. $Default . '\';InstalledFormats=Array('. $FormattersCSV . ');MenuTitle=\''. htmlentities($Context->GetDefinition('CommentLinks_Copy')) .'\';HideMenus();', $Context->BodyAttributes); } else { $Context->BodyAttributes .= ' onload="BaseUrl=\''. $Context->Configuration['BASE_URL'] . '\';DiscussionName=\''. htmlentities($Discussion->Name) . '\';DefaultFormat=\''. $Default . '\';InstalledFormats=Array('. $FormattersCSV . ');MenuTitle=\''. $Context->GetDefinition('CommentLinks_Copy') .'\';HideMenus();" '; }
  • OK, I see. I was intending to place the script inside a seperate .JS file. I guess I don't need to include the tags if I do that. I warned you I didn't know javascript. ;)

But you're saying including the php code inside the .JS file still won't work? Is there some other way to include to php code in the .JS file (using $Head->AddScript())? Is there some other way to pass a $Configuration[] value to a .JS script?

If it helps, what I'm trying to do is hide/show some text depending on whether the user picks a certain option from a selector. But the option value is dynamic, based on a $Configuration[] value.

Thanks!
  • First, note that JS code is sometimes cached in the browsers. Beware.
    You could use a .js file linked with AddScript() for the static code, and use the previous onLoad trick to define some vars, as done in CommentLinks.
This discussion has been closed.