Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Visual Fox Pro

edited February 2008 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
For the programmers out there...

Would you use Visual Fox Pro to create a professional application?

I hear Microsoft is dropping support for it?

What viable alternatives would you suggest?

Posted: Thursday, 7 February 2008 at 10:09PM

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2008
    Anything that doesn't involve Microsoft. I would use two sticks and a rock if it was the only alternative.
  • Options
    When you say "professional application", do you mean something you are going to market for the masses or just for one or two clients? And is it going to be a client-side application?
  • Options
    Fyorl mate I couldn't agree more but the situation is out of my control.

Jim, it's a database application, it is used for document control and although it is designed well it is subject to data corruption and unreliable behaviour. I don't know if it's Visual Fox Pro, Windows, badly written code or a combination of all. I'm looking into alternatives before I hit management with my gripes.

Yes it is commercially marketed but not for the masses, a user license starts at $6,000!

It's local area networked based but not internet.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I'm not really sure what alternatives exist. VFP is quite tightly integrated with its database engine so it might be difficult to port to a different language. I vaguely recall that it uses SQL syntax though which should make things easier. I would suggest Python as it's high-level enough to cut down development time but shouldn't suffer any noticeable performance issues when under heavy load. Alternatively, you could write a solid core in C++ and then extend it with Python. It's quite easy to integrate as Python is interpreted.
  • Options
    Thanks mate, although "solid" and this particular application should not be used in the same sentence!

C++ is well respected and one of my options.

I'm pushing for web-based to make it more versatile and less restrictive. As it is, it needs a lot of external support files which are specific to the operating system and it makes users' life hell.
  • Options
    If it's local-area based then you could probably implement it as part of any existing intranet or just make your own. PHP is perfectly suited to database work.
This discussion has been closed.