Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Finding Other Vanilla-Powered Forums

BenBen
edited August 2005 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
I randomly decided to try a search for other Vanilla Forums to see what they had done with it. How they'd styled it and such like..
So I worked out what was the common feature to search for, and I got this simple little Google Search. Here's a few I found:

The Scottish Ballet
Print Club
It's a trap!
Om Malik's Broadband

Comments

• Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    I added to your search and got some pretty awesome results. Every single result was a vanilla forum with the following search criteria:

"All Discussions" Vanilla

Here are some of the highlights:

Preshrunk
    cell phones etc (quite active)
    Litux
    DCI rankings
    Autolux (VERY active)
    thirty5.net
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    edited August 2005
    well I'll be damned, there's quite a number of forums that have either just switched or popped up. Vanilla is going global fast! Out of the quick 3 pages I've searched through, I've noticed that they're all still using pretty much the default vanilla theme or they've hacked apart stuarts 36 degrees theme for their own use. Crazy.

GroupHug
  • Options
    heh, we're a highlight. rockin'. a couple of guys on our forum are putting together some from-the-ground-up themes, but then we all went and bought world of warcraft. if you ever feel yourself getting too productive, just go by a blizzard game.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    hahaha
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    Blizzard = The root of all that is evil!
  • Options
    Good to see my theme out there, no-one ever bloody emails me to let me know they're using it though! but I'm so thorough with my referrers I have a list of loads, some of those above, and a few others which are members only.
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    Hehe, stuart, don't count on receiving emails all the time. As much as I'd love to know who's using my themes I realize I'm not going to find out most of the time so it doesn't phase me in the slightest. I'll just be happy knowing they're out there somewhere.
  • Options
    Well Stuart, my vanilla's got your theme and both of Lech's avaliable; even though the default is still Mark's awsome Vanilla style.
  • Options
    Hey, you found me! (I run the Autolux board). It may seem VERY active because of the amount of discussions, but most of them are very old. The board's been around for almost 5 years now and I managed to port most of the old discussions over after installing Vanilla right when 0.9.2 came out. Took some trial and error, but it was good to flex my SQL skills (or lack thereof) for a bit. The old board software was my own home-brew, so luckily the two schemas were similar.
  • Options
    ben > Cool, thats good to know.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    I find it shocking how few of the people who install vanilla come back to say hi or thanks or anything. There have been well over 8000 downloads of Vanilla at this point, and there are less than 1000 members on this community. That's just wierd, imho.
  • Options
    I think a lot of people just have a quick look, remove their test installation and forget all about it. For others, the language barrier may be a reason. I have seen vanilla sites in my referrers which are translated into Japanese and Danish to name just two. Still, feedback is great for development.
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    Mark, the numbers you're seeing though are fairly good. Consider yourself lucky to see at least 2% of those people downloading activly participating in development. Like stuart said, it's most likely the language barrier that is persistant in all applications, so I'm sure while there's people from other countries downloading, I'll place a safe bet that the only thing keeping them from posting here is their language skills. Of the 800 some odd users here though, how many of them have been active in the past month?
  • Options
    and you can try this one to find those which are also closed from public viewing...

Lussumo Vanilla Copyright © 2001-2005
  • Options
    wow that dude from grouphug.us did start using it. http://grouphug.us/threads/signin.php
  • Options
    http://grouphug.us/threads/ wow that's some expsure (well to a bunch of weirdos anyways)
  • Options
    nice theme he has too =)
This discussion has been closed.