Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Did you consider doing this in Ruby on Rails?

edited August 2005 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Mark, I was wondering if you ever considered developing this software in Ruby on Rails. I imagine you'd be able to build an app like this in a month or so. And having built-in AJAX, ect, would have been really nice. Might also really help with speeing up development. So just wondering if you ever did consider such a thing, and I also wanted to get input from different people's on the boards about how they felt about RoR.

Comments

• Options
    i like the idea of rails, i'm just still not sold on the whole ruby syntax. not PHP/JS/AS/etc-y enough for my taste. ;)
  • Options
    Just speaking for myself here... I've watched the RonR videos and read some documentation on it and think it looks great as a framework but for some reason I just can't see myself using it. For a start it is of course Ruby based so it is a different style of language than what I am used to plus I'm just not a big fan of all encompassing frameworks. Maybe I'm just the mouse that refused to change and couldn't find the cheese. :D
  • Options
    There is another rails thread over here, but it is a little off topic to what you guys are asking. Mark did mention in there some reason why he hasn't/ did not use it. I think.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    I am not a PHP programmer by trade. I chose PHP / MySQL because just about every web server out there supports them.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Oh, and as for speeding up development - It's not that development takes a long time. It's that I don't have very much time to devote to development.
This discussion has been closed.