Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Change private messaging "inbox" tab to japanese

edited April 2008 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
I am trying to get my forum up and running, but having some problems. I am using the private messaging add-on, but I want to change on the tab where it says "Inbox" into Japanese. Since "private messages" is an add-on, you can not change the language in the conf/language.php right? I have all the japanese plugins and database set up to utf-8 and such, and everything else is working great, I just need how I should go about changing it in the add-on without mucking up the way it works? I know that I can really mess up the inner-workings if I just start sticking Japanese into the configuration files! Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    i think you can overwrite the definition in your language file
  • Options
    Thats just it. It is an add-on, so there is no definition in the language file. It is in the extension configuration file. I just need to know where to change what.
  • Options
    find the lines in the extension's default.php that say something like Context->Dictionary->AddDefinition..........

cut / paste those to the japanese language file, and translate it. It will override whatever the extension had before.

P.S. you may need to clear your browser's cache
  • Options
    Sweet! Thanks Boss! I will giver a try!
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    In the default.php of private messages extention, there are two different "Inbox" values (see below), and I tried copying the first and the last lines into the conf/language.php but neither of them worked.
    Am I missing something?
    Thanks for your help.

$Context->Dictionary['PrivateMessagesTab'] = 'Inbox';

$Context->Dictionary['SendPrivateMessage'] = 'Send private message';

$Context->Dictionary['PrivateMessages'] = 'Private Messages';

$Context->Dictionary['Inbox'] = 'Inbox';
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I also tried putting just
    $Context->Dictionary['Inbox'] = 'myvalue';

and then I tried just
    $Context->Dictionary['PrivateMessagesTab'] = 'myvalue';

then I tried both
    $Context->Dictionary['PrivateMessagesTab'] = 'myvalue';

I tried these combinations in the English language file, the Japanese language file, and also in the conf/language file.
    I erased the browsers cache and even switched browsers and still no change.

I then tried
    $Context->Dictionary['PrivateMessagesTab'] = 'inbox';

and that didn't work either.

Any other ideas?
    Thanks
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    be sure to delete those lines in the default.php in the extension's folder, so then the lines are ONLY in your language files; otherwise the extension's definitions override the language's.
  • Options
    Ah! Thank you. I will try it right now!
  • Options
    It worked! Thanks a bunch. Now I know how to do all my extensions!
  • Options
    most of them shouldn't have it hard-coded in the extension's php (there's a different, newer way that's always overridden by language definitions)
  • Options
    Do you mean the Private messaging add-on is old, and that it should be able to be overridden by the language files?
    Now that I think about it, yeah, shouldn't the conf/language file override everything? I had to put the translated files in the Japanese language files, why don't they work in the conf/language file?
  • Options
    yes, it uses the old way of adding definitions; there's a newer way that is automatically overridden by language definitions.
This discussion has been closed.