Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Google Analytics & Sitemaps

ercatliercatli
edited April 2008 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
I have a very small Vanilla forum as part of a larger site and I have Google Analytics - I use the Sidebar extension to install the Analytics code. I have also sent Google a Sitemap generated by running a python command - sounds like I know what I'm doing, but don't be fooled!

It works fine, but I get a bunch of HTTP 403 (forbidden) warnings & errors from Google Sitemaps because my sitemap shows many files which are not html pages and hence cannot be accessed by Google's robot - mostly all the Vanilla php files which generate the pages. I'm assuming everyone who uses Google Sitemaps gets the same problem.

(In addition, some of the directories (actually folders - I use a Mac) also generate errors, but others do not. I can't figure why that would be, but I'll only ask the Vanilla-related question here.)

I have asked how to sort out these errors on the Google Analytics forum, and have received some answers, but they are not (so far) very satisfactory. Does anyone here use Google Sitemaps and therefore have the same warnings and errors, and if so, how did you solve the "problem"?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Hello! Does anyone out there use Google Sitemaps on a site which has a Vanilla forum? (If you had a Forum alone, I don't suppose you would, but you might with a forum as part of another site.)

If you do, do you have any problems like I've outlined above? Thanks
  • Options
    did you take a look on the Sitemaps extension? http://lussumo.com/addons/index.php?PostBackAction=AddOn&AddOnID=291
  • Options
    I didn't know there was such an extension! I searched for "sitemaps" and "Analytics" and read all the discussions I found, but somehow never found it. Thanks heaps.

I'm still a bit mystified how come Google's own sitemap generator gives a sitemap that generates errors, and I still don't know if this one avoids those problems, but I'm presuming so. I'll give it a try. Thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.