Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

markItUp! Universal Markup Editor

edited February 2009 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Would anyone be interested in writing an extension that would implement the markItUp! editor?
markItUp! is a JavaScript plugin built on the jQuery library. It allows you to turn any textarea into a markup editor. Html, Textile, Wiki Syntax, Markdown, BBcode or even your own Markup system can be easily implemented.

markItUp! is not meant to be a “Full-Features-Out-of-the-Box”-editor. Instead it is a very lightweight, customizable and flexible engine made to meet the developer's needs in their CMSes, blogs, forums or websites. markItUp! is not a WYSIWYG editor, and it never will be.

Comments

• Options
    Wow! Definitely a nice find. It would be nice to see this do syntax highlighting too. :)
  • Options
    Awesome find! Looks much better then tinymce or fckeditor. Also BBcode feature is nice, I think it might make a better alternative to BB insert bar. Hope some one takes up to develop this :)!
  • Options
    This has promise, looks the real deal and claims to be truly compatible.

Surely there is someone who will take up the challenge, seems the hard part is already done.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    To be honest it's really simple to hard-code it into a theme - you need to include a few .js and .css files. But if everything was done like that we wouldn't need extensions, right? :]

BTW: if you're looking for a lightweight WYSIWYG editor NicEdit should do the trick. And it's even less complicated to implement.
  • Options
    MarkItUp and NicEdit are completely separate things.
    MarkItUpIt allows you to turn any textarea into a markup editor. Html, Textile, Wiki Syntax, Markdown, BBcode or even your own Markup system can be easily implemented.

markItUp! is not meant to be a “Full-Features-Out-of-the-Box”-editor. Instead it is a very lightweight, customizable and flexible engine made to meet the developer's needs in their CMSes, blogs, forums or websites. markItUp! is not a WYSIWYG editor, and it never will be.
    Similar to QuickTags. (Make that better than QuickTags.

NicEditNicEdit is a WYSIWYG editor for websites. Its goal is to be as simple and fast as possible for users of your application. NicEdit is extremely lightweight and can be easily integrated in any site with minimal impact while providing visitors an effective means to express themselves in rich text.
    Similar to (although much more lightweight than) TinyMCE or FCKeditor or YahooUI

They both aim to be lightweight at what they do, but serve very different purposes. (Both excellent finds!)
  • Options
    NicEdit, wow thanks man, that's exactly what I was looking for.

I thought getting the contents of the comments field to Vanilla would be more complicated than that.

I will wrap it up as an extension first chance I get.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    @fysicsluvr I know the difference ;]

I've been considering using the Markdown extension on my forum, but to be honest... without a decent insert bar most of my users wouldn't know how to use the markup (thought it's very simple ant intuitive when you get a hang of it!). So markItUp! seems like the perfect solution. Plus! you can use HTML within the editor while it's set to Markdown.
  • Options
    Regardless, someone else may not have known...

I assume NicEdit is standards compliant, and compatible with Safari? (These seem to be 2 issues almost every WYSIWYG editor has)
  • Options
    The only thing NicEdit is missing, is the ability to upload files :( With that it'd be perfect.
  • Options
    It's compatible with Safari, their demos work beautifully.

I wouldn't want people uploading files, linking to pictures stored elsewhere works just fine for me.

I can't wait to try it within Vanilla.
  • Options
    raykrayk New
    edited May 2008
    So... has anyone had a chance to test this out on their site? (markitup)
  • Options
    raykrayk New
    edited May 2008
    /bump

Anyone willing to make markitup into an extension for a donation? I'm wanting to replace BBinsertbar+BBcodeparser with Markitup, so I need it to work with BB code.

Edit: would be a nice feature for it to hide radio buttons if DefaultFormatter extension is present.
  • Options
    Doesn't DefaultFormatter hide the radio buttons all on its own?

I think adding bbcode functionality to markitup is no problemo. (somebody's probably done it before, and they flaunt about how it's compatible with any formatter.)
  • Options
    fysicsluvr: Yeah, it does hide them (I got a little mixed up). BBcode function is added simply by specifying which markup language you want it to use (via link to parser file).

My problem is that I don't know php, let alone how to write extensions, so I am offering a little money donation to anyone who is willing to make it into an extension.
  • Options
    Wanderer, did you ever wrap it nicedit into an extension? I tried to just dump it into Nugget, and it worked, but the preview and a few other items didn't work perfectly.
  • Options
    That's exactly what I did, see elsewhere, and got the same results you did.

Someone suggested maybe NicEdit renamed the comments field which is why it won't actually submit the contents.

A smarter person than moi needs to look into this.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    These are awesome. I've been looking for something like these for Vanilla 2. Thanks!
  • Options
    AdrianAdrian Wandering Spirit Montreal MVP
    anyone been successful in getting markitup into Vanilla 2?
  • Options
    AdrianAdrian Wandering Spirit Montreal MVP
    I guess I can safely assume no?