Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

SMTP + Auth + SSL

edited May 2008 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
I'm attempting to get Vanilla set up to run on one of our hosted accounts (hosted with bluehost, incidentally), but want to use our main company email server (hosted here at our office) to send mail. Trouble is, our main email server requires SSL to even talk to the SMTP server, and it appears there is no way to get vanilla to attempt the SMTP auth over ssl. Further, bluehost blocks port 25, so I need to use an alternative port to connect to my SMTP server. I have 2500 open on the server and listening (and, in fact, that is what everyone at our company uses with their regular email clients for SMTP), but, again, it requires SSL to even connect to the SMTP daemon. So, is there any way to use smtp over ssl with Vanilla? My alternatives are to install vanilla on a machine in our office network that has unfettered SMTP access, but the bosses do not want any forum software installed on our local network due to the historical security problems with other mainstream forum packages. I realize that Vanilla has no such track history, but pointy haired bosses are once bitten, twice shy. Thanks! -- Kimball

Comments

• edited May 2008
    If you haven't tried this already, add these lines to your conf/settings.php file:// Adjust as necessary $Configuration['SMTP_HOST'] = 'emailserver.com:25'; // Set port number here too. $Configuration['SMTP_USER'] = 'Username'; $Configuration['SMTP_PASSWORD'] = 'Password';
    I think that should do the trick... For others reading, if your SMTP server doesn't require authentication, make sure USER and PASSWORD are both blank.

Update: Also, if that doesn't work, you can create your own homebrew emailer by modifying library/Framework/Framework.Class.Email.php. Since it is created using ObjectFactory, you can set a reference.
This discussion has been closed.